surplus ammo through mosin nagant...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > surplus ammo through mosin nagant...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default surplus ammo through mosin nagant...

Recognizing that it is corrosive ammo,
Will it damage the mosin nagant in the long run even if i properly clean it right after shooting?
Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

No. Please bear in mind, every round of small arms ammo fired in WW 1 and WW 2 and Korea (except .30 carbine) was corrosive primed.

All that the term means is the the primer is pased on potassium chlorate. On firing it burns to potassium chloride- a first cousin to table salt. It dissolves in water.

However, many bore cleaners are petroluem based, and do not dissolve it. What DOES get it out is WASHING it out- water. Hot water. Couple of drops of Dawn dish detergent on your bore brush. Flush with more hot water.

I put the rifle (minus bolt) in a padded vise, barrel tipped down at a 45 degree angle. Put a bucket under muzzle. Use a small plastic funnel that will fit into chamber. Pour a qt of hot water thru the bore. Brush with a bit of dish dtergent. Another couple of qts of hot water. Let dry, run an oiled patch thru the bore. While bore is drying, wipe off bolt with damp cloth, dry, wipe with oiled cloth. Total time 5-10 minutes.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

I will add, the hotter the better. It will dry much more quickly with HOT water.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #4

do yuo also take apart the bolt and clean?
hopefully i got this down right-
after shooting corrosive ammo,
1. clean with how water thru barrel using funnel at 45degree angle with bucket underbarrel to get water from barrel.
2. use detergent through barrel
3. use cleaning rod with patch to run through barrel (several times)
4. hot water again through barrel

is that it?
im pretty new to this whole process, forgive me
is there anything to the process im missing?
doe i let the how water dry on its own on the last step?
thanks in advance

Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5831 Times on 3297 Posts
Likes Given: 5312

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
No. Please bear in mind, every round of small arms ammo fired in WW 1 and WW 2 and Korea (except .30 carbine) was corrosive primed.

All that the term means is the the primer is pased on potassium chlorate. On firing it burns to potassium chloride- a first cousin to table salt. It dissolves in water.

However, many bore cleaners are petroluem based, and do not dissolve it. What DOES get it out is WASHING it out- water. Hot water. Couple of drops of Dawn dish detergent on your bore brush. Flush with more hot water.

I put the rifle (minus bolt) in a padded vise, barrel tipped down at a 45 degree angle. Put a bucket under muzzle. Use a small plastic funnel that will fit into chamber. Pour a qt of hot water thru the bore. Brush with a bit of dish dtergent. Another couple of qts of hot water. Let dry, run an oiled patch thru the bore. While bore is drying, wipe off bolt with damp cloth, dry, wipe with oiled cloth. Total time 5-10 minutes.
Excellent cleaning procedure.
I do an additional step. when the seems dry, I run ac patch through saturated with alcohol. alcohol absorbs water, and removes any last trace of it.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The alcohol patch would help- IF you have high purity alcohol.

After having about 3 qts of HOT water poured thru it, barrel is hot. Leave it in the vise, bolt out. Dry patch thru bore, or alcohol patch, and let it air. The heat will drive off any last trace of water. Then run an oiled patch thru the bore. Not necessary to fully strip bolt each time- wipe down exterior.

For the bore-
Hot water.
Brush with a couple of drops of dish detergent.
HOT water rinse.
Dry patch.
WAIT a few minutes.
Oiled patch

Someone will tell you about using Windex- that is actually helpful for COPPER fouling- for corrosive primers, the water part of windex is what works.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #7

ok thank you, for the oiled patch, what type of oil?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Gents- We are NOT discussing ARs- we are discussing shooting CORROSIVE PRIMED AMMO in a Mosin nagant rifle!

The AR/ M16 family of weapons was not intended to be washed- the bolt action M-N was. Brake cleaner does NOT remove the salt left after a corrosive primer is fired. It takes a WATER based product to do that. During WW 2 the US issued RBC- rifle bore cleaner- that WOULD do the job. Stunk like crazy.

Pay attention now, and keep up with the rest of us.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #9

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I use some WW2 cleaner my friend gave me to use after shooting corrosive ammo. I've never used soap and water to clean a gun.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I just take the head of the wand in the shower (mine pops off/on). Let the water get hot and give the mosin nagant a bath. Make sure to rinse the tub if you choose to do this, unless you like the woman in your life whacking you upside the head.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/