Suggestions for 5.56/.223 home defense rounds? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Suggestions for 5.56/.223 home defense rounds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

if you are worried about over penetration get a shotgun loaded with birdshot and forget it.

buck, slug, rifle and handgun rounds will go right though walls. most handgun rounds will penetrate more than a .223 round as well.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6346 Times on 3363 Posts
Likes Given: 469

52 or 40 grain hp would pretty much eliminate over penetration issues. 12ga shotgun using bb shot is the ideal home defense load. even worse case but your gonna need a slow twist in the 1in12 range to prevent the bullet from disintegrating as it leaves the muzzle. a load of shot from a short barrel pump like a mossberg 590 goes unimpeeded out a open door it wont go throuh the neighbor's walls. slugs are poor SD home loads due to extreme overpenetration.

with carbine pistol rounds your getting higher fps than out of a pistol so your actually getting more over penetration issues.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Jon, I've personally shot a 40 gr vmax through 1/8" steel and two layers of 1/2" sheetrock.

There's no magic weight to prevent overpenetration.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 AM   #14

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Just don’t miss.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #15

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I'm looking to keep a magazine of reliable .223/5.56 ammo in my new AR at home. What would you suggest for self defense ammo?

My gunsmith just said I should buy soft point or something. I was wondering what brand I should buy as well and bullet grain, etc.

thanks
Just my opinion but any AR round is a poor choice for inside the home defense. The sheer velocity of the round almost guarantees multiple wall penetration regardless of bullet weight. I have to cast my lot with the shotgun crowd on this one.

If you are really uncertain about your ability to effectively use your handgun in a HD situation I would suggest some training and lots of practice. Don't make a poor choice in using the AR to compensate for inadequate handgun skills, fix the real problem.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #16

I'd just about prefer a baseball bat over a rifle for home defense. I've got a Mossberg 12 ga pump with full stock and cut barrel for in/near the house.

What, me worry?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I wish I knew who made the rounds I bought. I picked them up at my dealer and they are .225 frangible rounds.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Back on the subject of pistol carbines...