Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Sugar in Bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

One time in the war of 1812 the British were using barrels of sugar as cover for their artillery. The barrels got blown up and the liquid sugar got all over the bores of the artillery pieces, rendering them useless.

The same thing would probably happen if you put sugar inside a case and fire it.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Effective load against thug diabetics.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have heard of using cream of wheat or even cornmeal as a filler for large capacity cases to fill them up, for either black powder or a slow burning rifle powder and I would suspect sugar would be more expensive. But none of them would make the report quieter. I do know using corn meal will make it smell like someone baking cornbread.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #14

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

actually i always liked brown sugar in my cream of wheat...but this is an interesting little read....from sugar to cream of wheat and corn bread mix....

if the only constant is the bullet wt./gr.(mass), then the energy and velocity have to vary according to each other per that equation posted earlier in the muzzle energy thread ENERGY=0.5*(MASS)*(VELOCITY)^2

i could see where someone might be firing two different loads, a regular and a sweet, and if they're both blowing thru 1/2" plywood at 100yds....the assumption maybe that both rounds have the same energy behind them, when in fact it may be the plywood only requires 200ft lbs to penetrate and one round is hitting at 600 and the other at 400 and more quietly out the muzzle....that would be my explanation for the original assumption.

I always wondered what purpose dripping wax on hollow points served as done by Roy Schieder in Jaws.....

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Last edited by Mack Bolan; 01-26-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mack now there are issues where the case needs to be filled like when loading with black powder in a large case, the bullet needs to be seated against the powder. Also if shooting a large capacity case like a .45/70 or anything like that where the powder charge is so reduced that there is a large air pocket in the case and the powder all lies flat on one side of the case, causing the flame from the primer to light the top of all of the powder at once. Have seen many discussions on this before, and hey why pay the extra money for corn bread mix when corn meal is much cheaper.