Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Ammunition & Reloading (
-   -   Sugar in Bullets? (

Justasking 12-19-2008 05:07 AM

Sugar in Bullets?
My brother in law told me that his father would load bullets with sugar and that the gunshot would be much more quieter yet still have the velocity and power of regular subsonic ammo. I've never held such a thing and research bought me here. I would ask his father but he passed away sometime ago. Logically I think it might work. Before I decide to buy the equipment and learn how to load(not just for the sugar), has anyone heard or know anything about sugar bullets?

robocop10mm 12-19-2008 01:35 PM

That would be SWEET! Really? I'm calling B/S on that one. Sugar will have no effect on the sound of the discharge.

1hole 12-19-2008 02:02 PM

"My brother in law told me that his father would load bullets with sugar and that the gunshot would be much more quieter yet still have the velocity and power of regular subsonic ammo. "

It won't work in any case (pun) but I'm not sure I understand all that your BIL means. It's amusing to consider tho. Was his father supposed to be putting sugar in the bullets or the cartridges? I mean, was it supposed to be a sweet addition to a hollow point maybe, or was he supposed to be using sugar for a gun powder?

If it would work at all, which it won't, burnt sugar would leave a badly fouled barrel, not sweet at all! :D

hunter Joe 12-19-2008 02:32 PM

When your are reloading you have to pay close attention to cartridge pressure. I have yet to find a reloading recipe that calls for sugar in any of my reloading manuals. I checked, no sugar there either. Mis-loading a metallic cartridge or shot shell can have a deadly impact on you and people around you. It is all about pressure. Stay Safe and Shoot Straight, Hunter Joe

Justasking 12-19-2008 06:00 PM

His dad would load the cartridges and I don't think he used all sugar. He probably mixed it with gunpowder. Reason I think it might work is because my brother makes smoke bombs from sugar and stump remover(kno3) and those smoke like crazy.

dunerunner 12-19-2008 06:06 PM

Not recommended as the sugar will load up the barrel. Unless you have a piece you don't care about.

BillM 12-19-2008 06:48 PM

Google brings up at least a couple of "gunpowder substitute" formulas
out there that use sugar as one component.

jeepcreep927 12-20-2008 04:26 AM

Fillers of several types can be used in cartride cases. Usually they are tufts of polyester, or wool, some type of filler that would hold the powder in place.

I have read of filler being used in straight wall pistol cases and in several black powder loadings where you DON'T want any empty space in the case. Never in a bottleneck case. I suppose sugar could be used on top of a charge of powder but not mixed in with it. Though it sounds do-able in theory, sugar is probably not a good idea.

c3shooter 12-21-2008 02:20 AM

Sugar (fuel) and an oxidizer (I will NOT specify) CAN be a (poor) substitute for gunpowder. If they were quieter, it was because they were driving the bullet a LOT slower, with a lot less energy. If you are planning to get into reloading, please do one of two things- 1. Read the reloading manuals, and follow instructions PRECISELY- that means NO substitutions of bullet weight/type, powder, or primers- OR- 2. Take out a large life insurance policy. I have worked in explosives for over 45 years, and yes, I know of field expedient substitutes for gunpowder. However, those are used only in military circumstances where I am cut off from normal channels of supply. They are sure as heck not used as a matter of convenience or cost. Today I was at the range shooting .357 Mag handloads that are putting out about 700 ft lbs of energy. Carefully developed, used only in one weapon (not the average 357) AND developed from standard loading data. If sugar was a good substitute, I sure as heck would not be spending money buying Bullseye, Blue Dot, and 2400!

cpttango30 12-22-2008 08:29 PM

If you want a filler you need to use cream of wheat. That is what guys use for low charges of fast powder in big cases.