Stupid question from a newb reloader - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Stupid question from a newb reloader

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
So what i am taking away from this is, even tho i COULD, i shouldnt.

My conclusion is, for the cost of 30 or so primers it isnt worth the possible damage to my equipment etc. (the cost of a carbide de capping die far excedes the cost of 50 primers) plus its not a garauntee the primer i reclaimed will even work in the next load i roll up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
... I am a frugal kinda critter. But as pointed out, my copay far exceeds the cost of a tray of primers.
You have summarized it well.

And it wasn't a dumb question.
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
So what i am taking away from this is, even tho i COULD, i shouldnt.

My conclusion is, for the cost of 30 or so primers it isnt worth the possible damage to my equipment etc. (the cost of a carbide de capping die far excedes the cost of 50 primers) plus its not a garauntee the primer i reclaimed will even work in the next load i roll up.
fmj, i think you got it! you might do it 100 times or 1000 times or even 10000 times and never have one go off on you. but what if that one time, fate steps in and deals you some bad luck, and you get hurt or killed, IMO, it's not worth it. remember you are dealing with powder and primers, that make bullets travel at high speeds down the barrel. reloading can be a rewarding and safe hobby as long as you follow the instructions and safe precautions. good luck.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
fmj, i think you got it! you might do it 100 times or 1000 times or even 10000 times and never have one go off on you. but what if that one time, fate steps in and deals you some bad luck, and you get hurt or killed, IMO, it's not worth it. remember you are dealing with powder and primers, that make bullets travel at high speeds down the barrel. reloading can be a rewarding and safe hobby as long as you follow the instructions and safe precautions. good luck.
LMAO!!

With my luck (especially the luck i have been drawing the past couple months) it would go off on my first attempt and blow my face off.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
...(especially the luck i have been drawing the past couple months)...
So Murphy has been busy here in the midwest recently, and I thought it was
just me...
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #35
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
So Murphy has been busy here in the midwest recently, and I thought it was
just me...
I think that Murphy bastid needs to be IMPEACHED!!!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I think that Murphy bastid needs to be IMPEACHED!!!
no such luck FMJ, he got elected for life term!
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #37
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
no such luck FMJ, he got elected for life term!
LMAO!! Yeah, its easier to get rid of one from the SCOTUS!!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Newb Question Dura-Ration AR-15 Discussion 2 05-25-2009 12:46 AM
Newb Question Benning Boy Ammunition & Reloading 4 02-22-2009 01:24 AM
Stupid Newb Question Jefe' AR-15 Discussion 3 11-10-2008 03:15 AM
Newb with Class III question mp5luvr NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 3 04-13-2008 06:40 PM
newb to forum threaded ar-7 barrel question hkusp45 NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 2 04-08-2008 05:35 PM