Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Stupid question from a newb reloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2256 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I have been handloading for over 30 years. I have NEVER had a primer go off during decapping. If you do it slow and smooth, it is unlikely. Unlikely is not the same as 100% sure though. A primer is 3-4 cents. Your emergency room co-pay will likely be $40-$50. How many primers do you have to salvage to pay for the co-pay? To me it is a simple economic question. Mr. Murphy ALWAYS shows up when you least expect it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 AM   #22
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16812 Times on 9744 Posts
Likes Given: 43872

i for one believe in Murphy's Law! what can go wrong, will go wrong, at the wrong time. IMO, decapping live primers is a risk not worth taking. either fire it in a weapon, with it pointed in a safe direction, or squeeze the end shut with a pair of pliers and throw it away.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #23

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If some actor was killed by a primer-only round, I would be very amazed. They almost always have a small amount of powder for the flash/bang.
You ever put a gun up against a piece of sheetrock and fired a primer only round?
I will agree that the primer can propel a projectile quite well, but that projectile must be against the primer flash hole. If you put a plastic "bullet" in the rifling, the primer will barely move it. If you seat the plastic bullet flush at the bottom of the case, it will propel the bullet and dent a magazine at 12 feet.
The cup and anvil have little weight and, as I said from only having two primers go off due to severe impact of the primer slider being slammed into the primer stem, in both those cases, despite the primer being "free", it stayed in one piece and didn't go anywhere.
Fire them off in your room and hope nobody calls the cops over the gun fire. Maybe you should save them all until Chinese New Year and set them as "firecrackers" as part of you "Celebration of Diversity."
You have more chance of injury putting oil in your car than you do decapping a primer.
With everyone lawyered up, just read all the warnings that come with every thing you buy.
IF you paid attention to the warnings, you would know NOT to EVER fire reloads in your guns.
Again, where is the primer going to go? It can't go up--there is case being held in place by the die. It can go down--right into your spent primer holder. Where is the route to rip an eye out? The nearest powder is at least 6" away, with the presses "head" in the way and it is protected by a plastic hopper. The nearest primers are about 6" away and inside a steel blast shield.
From those that have done it, there has been no problem.
From those that haven't done it, there are all these scary scenarios.
I'm not telling anyone to do it, but I am saying that it has NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ME. Why should I keep silent about my experience?
Be very careful in your car--there is the equivalent of at least a 12 gauge shotgun shell pointed at you all the time.
Risks? Life is a risk and you're going to die. Weigh the risks and consider the benefits. If the benefits are too small, then don't take the risk.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #24
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16812 Times on 9744 Posts
Likes Given: 43872

noylj, why would reloading books state not to decap live primers, i there was no danger, either to yourself or your equipment. to come on here and relate to someone new to reloading to do what you have done, and just having been lucky at is foolish and irresponsible. if they post such a warning, then there has to be a good reason. i have seen with my own eyes, people smoking while gassing up their vehicle with gasoline, but i wouldn't by any means say that was safe either. no sir, there is no way that i would suggest or imply that decapping live primers as being safe, just because one has been lucky. i hope that one day we don't have to hear about you being hurt or killed by being careless in your reloading.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #25

Likes Given: 1

Its not the fact that your just decapping a live primer. Its the fact that 9 times out of 10 you are working at you reloading bench and you will have a lot more primers present in the area and probably a a pound or tow of powder there. Yes if the primer dose go off it is only going to pop and scare the **** out of you, maby damage your equipment. May even give you a hart attack (hehe for you old timer) but its the fact that you might set off your other primers or your powder. A can of powder going off with in 10 feet might do a bit a hurting on a fun time. My advice coming from 15 years of reloading, shooting, and being a daddy. Cut the loss of a few brass and a few primers. 10 20 dollars in brass and primers is not worth a really big oops no matter what size oops it is.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #26

BTW there is no stupid questing if you ask. the stupidest question is the one that needs an answer and is never asked. the only way to learn is to seek guidance from people with experience and then actually putting into practice what you have learned from them.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

So what i am taking away from this is, even tho i COULD, i shouldnt.

My conclusion is, for the cost of 30 or so primers it isnt worth the possible damage to my equipment etc. (the cost of a carbide de capping die far excedes the cost of 50 primers) plus its not a garauntee the primer i reclaimed will even work in the next load i roll up.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #28
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahole View Post
BTW there is no stupid questing if you ask. the stupidest question is the one that needs an answer and is never asked. the only way to learn is to seek guidance from people with experience and then actually putting into practice what you have learned from them.
tis why i asked...to get opinions from others that have more experience than i.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
So what i am taking away from this is, even tho i COULD, i shouldnt.

My conclusion is, for the cost of 30 or so primers it isnt worth the possible damage to my equipment etc. (the cost of a carbide de capping die far excedes the cost of 50 primers) plus its not a garauntee the primer i reclaimed will even work in the next load i roll up.
BINGO

except your forgetting one thing the possible personnel injury factor.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #30
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahole View Post
BINGO

except your forgetting one thing the possible personnel injury factor.
Well, personal injury factor is a chance i take every day (i blew out my ankle 2 years ago so badly its never really healed on the same steps i take to get to my reloading table) There is a personal injury factor being as avid a shooter as i am. I am a frugal kinda critter. But as pointed out, my copay far exceeds the cost of a tray of primers.