Stupid question from a newb reloader
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Stupid question from a newb reloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default Stupid question from a newb reloader

OK, when i started reloading i started with .357...i screwed up a bunch of bullets. either seating too deep or having my crimp die set wrong and causing the case to "accordian". I didnt like the results i got when i finally did manage to make some good rounds.

Well i had set aside the my earlier failings. Today i went down and pulled the bullets and reclaimed the powder. Being a frugal kinda guy, my question for the more knowledgable reloaders here is, is there a way for me to reclaim the primers from the casings? Or will my decapping die set off the primer or make it inert?

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

Decapping will pop the primer in most cases. Sorry, but think they are gone.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Decapping will pop the primer in most cases. Sorry, but think they are gone.
yeah i figured as much...but thought i would ask....more of that silly "beer bottle half full" mentality.

Thanks anywho.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

you definately dont want to decap a live primer. blow just one (almost a certainty to happen) and you prolly just ruined a pricy sizing die... not cost effective.

that is of course taking into account you dont spend some time and money in the ER

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you definately dont want to decap a live primer. blow just one (almost a certainty to happen) and you prolly just ruined a pricy sizing die... not cost effective.

that is of course taking into account you dont spend some time and money in the ER
i agree with Jon on this, don't try to decap a live primer. if the case is already ruined, just throw the whole thing away after salvaging the bullet and powder. i did the same thing to some of my first 44 specials i reloaded. i forgot to bevel the case inside with the case mouth tool!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Time in an ER for a PRIMER? The decapping pin is pushing it out and any bang will go down to the spent primer area and have no effect on the sizing die. Seems like a lot of overly cautious folks here that have never had a primer go off.
I have NEVER in 45 years of reloading had a primer go off while decapping. IF you slammed the die down as fast and hard as you can, I still doubt it will go off.
Also, so what if one goes off? It makes a bang sound, but you are wearing eye protection and hearing protections just is case, right?
If it goes off, it would propel itself into your spent primer tube or whatever.
I have "recycled" many primers from my errors or from rounds I that my shooting indicated may be too near max or beyond. Never had any problem reusing them.
Hope you now know how to set-up the expander, seating, and crimp dies.
The "dangerout" primer bang is where the primer falls out of the primer slider on a progressive and gets slammed between the primer slide and the primer seating stem. There is a faint possibility of the anvil flying loose and going who knows where. Even if it does hit you (you are still wearing safety glasses, righrt?), it MIGHT scratch your skin and draw a little blood. This is NOT a stick of dynamite. The two times I have had a primer go off, the anvil stayed in and the primer was still cruched between the two parts.

Last edited by noylj; 10-12-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #7

noylj, having never had one go off is just being lucky, and at one point you might not be so lucky. some primers have enough force to cause serious bodily damage, enough to maybe put an eye out. and just because you have been lucky, doesn't mean it's safe. many books on reloading tell you not to decap a live primer. now why would they mention this, unless there is a safety concern. giving wrong advise is dangerous, especially to someone new to reloading!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
Time in an ER for a PRIMER? The decapping pin is pushing it out and any bang will go down to the spent primer area and have no effect on the sizing die. Seems like a lot of overly cautious folks here that have never had a primer go off.
I have NEVER in 45 years of reloading had a primer go off while decapping. IF you slammed the die down as fast and hard as you can, I still doubt it will go off.
Also, so what if one goes off? It makes a bang sound, but you are wearing eye protection and hearing protections just is case, right?
If it goes off, it would propel itself into your spent primer tube or whatever.
I have "recycled" many primers from my errors or from rounds I that my shooting indicated may be too near max or beyond. Never had any problem reusing them.
Hope you now know how to set-up the expander, seating, and crimp dies.
The "dangerout" primer bang is where the primer falls out of the primer slider on a progressive and gets slammed between the primer slide and the primer seating stem. There is a faint possibility of the anvil flying loose and going who knows where. Even if it does hit you (you are still wearing safety glasses, righrt?), it MIGHT scratch your skin and draw a little blood. This is NOT a stick of dynamite. The two times I have had a primer go off, the anvil stayed in and the primer was still cruched between the two parts.
Just remember good ole uncle murphy is a damn fine shot. Just cuz it can be done doesnt mean its a safe thing or a good practice. I can work on the engine of my car while its running but is it a good idea??

Do you realllllly want to give a new loader this sort of advice then come back and read a post by his loved one telling us what happened and why that person wont be back.

Most accidents involving injury arent just one thing going wrong but a series of bad decisions and bad practices going wrong at once. The simplest way to minimize or eliminate risk when doing things is to not do something that is self evident to be a bad idea.

Take one link out and the chain breaks.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #9

well said JonM. like my father use to say, " if all else fails, read the directions " . seems like good advise when reloading components with the capability to do bodily harm!

Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

Liked 2525 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 2423

Have any of you ever loaded with the old lee loader? You know the thing where you use a mallet to seat primers? They go off frequently and it doesn't hurt at all. Scares the hell out of you but causes no damage. I'm not telling anyone to deprime live primers it's their decision but I have to agree that it isn't much of a big deal I've done it thousands of times and never had one go off.

I use progressive press and I make sure the primer tube is empty and the powder measure is removed just in case but like I said after all this time and thousands of primers it has never set one off.