Stuck cases
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Stuck cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Stuck cases

Ok I've had a couple stuck cases the last one broke my decapper , I'm lubing the crap out of them but still get a stuck case everyone in a while . Why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #2

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Do you lube the inside of the neck? When you broke the decapper, was it going in or coming out? You weren't trying to decap a berdan primed case were you?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1841 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 1380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
Ok I've had a couple stuck cases the last one broke my decapper , I'm lubing the crap out of them but still get a stuck case everyone in a while . Why?
I would have to question the type of lube you are using or the amount.I lube the inside and outside of every other case with a very slight amount. If I do more than that I will see dents in the cases. If you are lubing the crap out of them and not seeing dents you have way better luck than I.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Lemme guess, .223? These are the most likely to stick. You are not using the proper lube in the proper way. I have used dozens of different lubes over the years, but have settled on Imperial sizing wax as the best. A LITTLE bit goes a long way.

If you are "lubing the crap out of them", you are doing it wrong.

Broken decapper from either a Berdan case or a severely crimped primer.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #5

Yep 223 cases and I have went from little lube to a lot and still get the periodical stuck case. I'm using the Lee lube that came with my reloader I will give the imperial lube a try. Im always careful about getting any excess lube of the neck area of the case. Thanks for input.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6019 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 431

i use a lanolin based spray lube. i gave up on lube pads decades ago too much work too many issues with dirt and stuck cases.

i use a cardboard soda flat toss in a bunch of cases a few squirts with the spray lube shake wait a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate and get after it.

you can get stuck cases from too much lube or too little when using lube pads.

as for the decapper breaking either the cases are ex military with a super tight crimp or berdan as others said.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #7

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It sounds like you have your decapping rod screwed down too far. The expander ball is being forced against the inside web of the case. Bending and breaking the rod lodging the pin in the flash hole. Back off the decapping rod only allow 1/4 inch of the pin to extend beyond the base of your sizing die.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I use a spray lube too. It is the Cabelas brand. I just stand them up on a paper towel and spray from both directions. I spray from about a foot away and hit probably 10 cases at a time with a single spritz.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #9

why does too much lube cause stuck cases ? That is if you start out with a clean die and one that's not all gummed up with dried lube already .lll also try backing off my dec pen too also how do y'all clean your dies ?

Last edited by Tenderribbs; 03-07-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6618 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6286

I use Dillon spray lube and never have a problem. Screw down your decapping pin until it just barely punches out the primer.

When depriming crimped in primers, I normally use a RCBS universal decapping die to decap, and then size with the pin removed from the stem.

I clean my dies with alcohol on a nylon bore brush, then a squirt of gun scrubber.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 03-07-2013 at 11:31 PM.