stp for lube
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

stp for lube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default stp for lube

I met a fellow whom was getting me started with reloading. I was able to pick his brain for two months before he passed away at age 75. He had been reloading since he was 16 and taught his children and grandchildren how to shoot and reload. (sorry off subject) Anyway he had friend (82) whom is a retired gunsmith that years ago told him to use a dab of STP for lube and he used it for years. Has anyone out there had any experience with STP?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3452 Times on 1777 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Many different lubes CAN be used for resizing lube, but may or may not give acceptable results. After 25 years of dabbling in a variety of lubes, I settled on the best, Imperial Sizing Wax.
Trez Likes This 
Old 01-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #3

thanks for the reply

Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6786 Times on 3607 Posts
Likes Given: 506

I'm assuming stp is the fuel additive??

Petroleum products should never be used as case lube. Period. It can deactivate or damage primers causing a dangerous hangfire situation. Only neutral lubes should be used like wax or lanolin or in the old days animal fats

The working parts of a loading machine should only be lubed using grease. Grease won't migrate into cases. Never lube dies with grease of any sort. Oil should never be used on dies.

That old gunsmith has been passing on very bad and dangerous information for almost a decade!! Very damn scary.

Follow the procedures found in a modern loading manual. There is no magic there are no work arounds shortcuts or mystical secret recipes that are handed down from the ages. Those things will get you or someone else injured or killed. Handloading is not like baking a batch of great grandpappy's biscuits from the civil war where everyone Has a trade secret.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 01-06-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3452 Times on 1777 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I think he meant STP oil treatment. That thick, gooey stuff Andy Granatelli used to advertise

Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6786 Times on 3607 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I think he meant STP oil treatment. That thick, gooey stuff Andy Granatelli used to advertise
Same thing then. Its a petroleum and shouldn't be used in any ammount for case lube
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-07-2014, 01:41 AM   #7

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

RCBS case lube and I have never had a stuck case. On top of that one bottle will last for a long time.

Using something other than a product designed for case lube is beyond me. I bet a can of STP cost as much as a bottle of case lube.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:09 AM   #8

yes the oil additive. I am not sure if there is any petroleum product in the stp but regardless does not seem worth the risk with so many other alternatives. Thanks everyone for the input.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Many different lubes CAN be used for resizing lube, but may or may not give acceptable results. After 25 years of dabbling in a variety of lubes, I settled on the best, Imperial Sizing Wax.
Agree that Imperial sizing wax works great as a case lube. I've also had similar great results using Hornady Case Lube which comes in a much larger tub and is much cheaper on the pocketbook.

Bayou

Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts

Recently switched to hornady one shot spray from RCBS lube. Nothing wrong with The lube and pad, but I'm not going back!

Align the cases in a pan with the necks pointing up. Spray a quick shot at a 45 degree angle while letting the cases roll around a little. Let dry 1 minute and done. The necks and bodies are lubed quickly and there is no reason to re-tumble unless you like em really shiny.