Storing ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Storing ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Default Storing ammo

Just curious how other people store their stockpile, im starting to build up quite a bit, and sometimes wonder "what if my house caught on fire" I would have to tell the fire dept about the thousands of round of ammo, would they just clear the area, and let it burn ? Im thinking about buying a bunch of those army surplus sealed ammo cans, and burying them outside, is that crazy ?

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Yes

Sent from a Droid...but not the one you are looking for, move along.

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Ammo in a fire, unless tightly confined, does not mass detonate (one huge KABLOOEY is the technical term for that). It burns, will pop bullet out of casing- not going more than a few feet with no real energy.

Why would you bury ammo? The GI ammo can, when the rubber seal is intact, was MADE to store ammo. Keep it cool and dry, will last longer than you will.

PS- my ammo storage is 5 drawer filing cabinets. Now up to 5 of them. Shop in the stores that carry USED office furniture. They USED to make nice, HEAVY steel filing cabinets with great ball bearing rollers for the drawers. But not airtight, so does not produce confinement.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 11-09-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #4

Don't know about your area but around here the fire code is mainly for black powder storage. I don't have any but I think you can have around 5 pounds before you need a special container.

As I am not in the business of selling small arms ammo I can have all I want for private use and be within code, no special storage rules. No special insurance rider.

Ammo cans for storage is a good idea. I would probably look into the fire codes before I'd bury my ammo. Its not a good idea to let it freeze.

My fireman friends say they are more worried about my aerosol cans & LP tanks than they are about loaded ammo - except for a round left in the chamber of a weapon cooking off.

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 11-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #5

If you bury ammo put it in something waterproof and plastic. They make specific boxes for burying guns and ammo. Also if you live far enough north where you get a good ol frozen winter, bury it deep.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i vaccuum seal it then put in a ammo can if its long term storgage. i make my own so i gotta come up with my own packing.

i keep about 1000 rounds in loaded ar15 30 round mags in the gun safe.

i wouldnt bury it. the ground has an amazing ability to houdini open just about any packing device over time.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #7

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Ammo in a fire, unless tightly confined, does not mass detonate (one huge KABLOOEY is the technical term for that). It burns, will pop bullet out of casing- not going more than a few feet with no real energy.

Why would you bury ammo? The GI ammo can, when the rubber seal is intact, was MADE to store ammo. Keep it cool and dry, will last longer than you will.

PS- my ammo storage is 5 drawer filing cabinets. Now up to 5 of them. Shop in the stores that carry USED office furniture. They USED to make nice, HEAVY steel filing cabinets with great ball bearing rollers for the drawers. But not airtight, so does not produce confinement.
Thanks for the info, i keep it in big zip-loc bags, in filing cabinets, in the basement now, will just keep doing that.

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 11-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

When our local meat locker went out of business I got one section of 4 drawer meat lockers. I gave it a coat of industrial gray paint to sort of match my gun safe and now I have a very nice mostly secure large ammo bin.
I have much of it in ammo cans, some is sealed in battle packs, some I sealed with the vac sealer. I intentionally didn't draw all of the air out of the packs I made with the vac sealer. I doubt that it would be an issue, but was concerned about having a higher pressure inside the cartridge than outside of the cartridge for a long time.
C3 is right about the fire hazard, not any more worry than ordinary cleaning product and paint cans exposed to heat if you have a fire.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:22 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I just keep all of mine stored in 50cal surplus ammo cans.That reminds me,I need to buy about 20 more.
My local fire chief knows I have a large amount of ammo,powders,primers just in case everything starts burning around here again.I'd rather have it all burn,and keep the firefighters safe.
That's what insurance policies are for!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 AM   #10

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In an underground cargo container. In combloc sealed cans (surplus 7.62x54r)