Storage solutions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Storage solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Storage solutions

I've been storing all of my completed ammo in 100 pack boxes in various colors as I can get them for different bullet weights or different guns of the same caliber.

I've got several hundred of most of my calibers loaded up and am getting tired of buying boxes. I like the boxes for going to the range and they stack nice.

Anybody have any solutions for storing extra rounds? I don't know that tupperware would be much cheaper and ziplock baggies make me worry about humidity.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5714 Times on 3230 Posts
Likes Given: 5140

I store most of my ammo in cardboard "bulk boxes" of 250 rounds (available at most packaging companies) then store these bulk packs in 50 cal or 20MM ammo cans with dessicant, in a cool basement.

Clean one gallon paint cans and a pack of dessicant is another good way to store loose bulk ammo.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Thanks for the tip on the dessicant...all my ammo is currently stock... I keep itt in cardboard box in divider trays as it comes and then in ammo can.....but w/o the dessicant and can certainly see the value in that.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

I store all of my ammo is 50 cal Surplus cans. Been doing it that way for many years,I got 35-40 of them stuffed to the lid full of ammo.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5714 Times on 3230 Posts
Likes Given: 5140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I store all of my ammo is 50 cal Surplus cans. Been doing it that way for many years,I got 35-40 of them stuffed to the lid full of ammo.
You and me both. If the Zombies attack, I can arm and equip the whole neighborhood!

Winston Churchill
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how do you store (what sounds like) a pallet of ammo discreetly....I have 3 (soon to be 4) ammo cans and am Having trouble...lol

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
I've got a few ammo cans full of factory ammo. Do you just throw your reloads in an ammo can loose? Reloads is what I need a storage solution for. I keep buying the MTM boxes and feel that I ave enough to hold my shoot right now ammo. Now I'm looking for a way to store the extra and refill the MTM boxes as I shoot that ammo.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #8

Liked 282 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ive been thinking of a job box and filling it with my ammo cans, it will weight a ton when its full plus you can lock it.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you store (what sounds like) a pallet of ammo discreetly....I have 3 (soon to be 4) ammo cans and am Having trouble...lol
I have most out in my shop,the rest are kept in the house in case I'm inside when all hell breaks loose.LOL,You always want to have some close!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I've got a few ammo cans full of factory ammo. Do you just throw your reloads in an ammo can loose? Reloads is what I need a storage solution for. I keep buying the MTM boxes and feel that I ave enough to hold my shoot right now ammo. Now I'm looking for a way to store the extra and refill the MTM boxes as I shoot that ammo.
It all depends on what the ammo is used for. For general purpose rounds,I just load the rounds and toss'em into an ammo can. For precision rounds for hunting/long range shooting,they are all in MTM ammo boxes,and then stored in the ammo cans.
I don't even want to think about how many MTM ammo boxes I have,and I could use about 50 more in certain calibers.