Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Storage Limit (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/storage-limit-1340/)

notdku 07-20-2007 07:04 PM

Storage Limit

Are there any Federal or State laws on a maximum amount of ammo you are allowed to own?

FALPhil 07-22-2007 02:27 AM

There are probably local zoning laws related to hazardous materials that could be invoked, but typically, ammo is not hazardous unless it is loaded in a chamber and the barrel pointed at you. ;)

allmons 07-22-2007 09:56 PM

As FalPhil said, depends on local ordinances

No Federal stipulations yet, but many informed activists believe the Democratic congress will target ammunition sales and storage to get a regressive gun control in the "back door".

WILDCATT 08-15-2007 12:25 AM

ammo amount

the national fire ass.has regulations that most states follow.Mass is one state
how ever if you want real trouble all you have to do is get enough so the feds notice you and let it be known to nabors you have a lot.

rickrem700 10-11-2007 12:34 AM

Leagle amount of ammo

I'm really not sure about ammo, but I know gun powder and primers after so many they are supposed to be in a speacial fire proof container, just the same I would be careful who I asked, it probably works like the FBI if you ask them if you have a FBI file and you don't, you will have one, just for asking!!!

Declaration Day 10-11-2007 10:41 PM

Sometimes homeowner's insurance policies have regulations that limit quantities of hazardous material on your property. Of course if your house burns down they'd have to prove it. :D

hillbilly68 11-22-2007 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Declaration Day (Post 9985)
Sometimes homeowner's insurance policies have regulations that limit quantities of hazardous material on your property. Of course if your house burns down they'd have to prove it. :D

Depends if that was the reason why it burned in the first place :eek:

I can't believe that we are to the point to where we have to be concerned how much ammo is stored legally. I have even heard (don't know if its true) that there have been gov't attempts to limit how much food one can store. I am not one to stock up on either ammo or food, but it just seems strange that the gov't would try to limit a citizen's ability to do so.

ScottG 11-22-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly68 (Post 12014)
I have even heard (don't know if its true) that there have been gov't attempts to limit how much food one can store. I am not one to stock up on either ammo or food, but it just seems strange that the gov't would try to limit a citizen's ability to do so.

Hard to revolt against tyranny without food and bullets. I don't believe anything like that is true, but if you're dependent on a dole you're not very likely to upset the giver just in case he stops giving.

That's the result of a debased citizenry. Too dependent on handouts, too fearful to lose them by demanding your rights. Sounds like a "progressives" wet dream....

matt g 11-23-2007 04:02 AM

Nope, not even in Cali. Buying large amounts of ammo may get you put on a watch list though. COINTELPROs still exist.

RePete 12-15-2007 12:43 PM

In Canada, the reg states that you can have a REASONABLE amount of ammo stored in a residence.

Now, there isn't a definition of what REASONABLE means.

My definition is, if you're a plinker, 50 - 100 rounds may be all you need.

If you're a target rifle shooter, 2000 rds may be all you need.

If you're an IPSC shooter, 50,000 - 100,000 rounds may be all you need.

And the list goes on.

Please note that I used 'maybe', you insert your own number.

REASONABLE is very subjective in meaning and it means, really, whatever YOU say it is!