You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Stopping Power Riddle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 269 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Stopping Power Riddle?

Ok, first off, I am not saying that in any way I believe or trust all of the OSS(one shot stop) % charts out there, but I got to thinking a weird philosophical question on stopping power and here it is- If a 38spl has a 49% oss stopping power with a standard LRN 158gr bullet in a 2" barrel, does a double tap equate to 98% stopping power, or does it stay at 49% oss and give the shooter two chances of 49% oss? Like if I shot a bad guy 5 times, does he have a 51% chance of keeping fighting per shot, and can beat the odds all 5 times and not stop, or does 5 shots equate to 245% oss in which no one could keep fighting because it's more than double what it takes to drop a man?
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves
orangello Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7462 Times on 3977 Posts
Likes Given: 594

There is no "magic bullet" until you hit something on the order of a 50bmg or 20mm cannon shell...

All those charts and graphs are just methods people use to try and quantify a cause and effect when they want to get around the issue of you HAVING to spend time shooting to get good enough to put rounds center mass.

Self defense boils down to using appropriate ammunituon in a firearm you can land hits middle of the torso of a goblin.

Example, you can be a damn fine shot with a sw governor but if you load it with 410 shells you broke the rule of using adequate ammunition.

Pick a handgun or shotgun or rifle that functions well, load it with good ammunition, practice as much as you can keep a firearm at hand at all times

That is the only time recipe that has been shown to work for as long as man has used weapons for defense. Bout 10,000 years since the first women clubbed the first rapist in the head...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts

I would agree with your 245% theory because if all five shots hit the intended button on the bad guys shirt I can pretty much guarantee he's not gonna be in much shape to fight back... But if ya look at other examples there was a popular rapper who took I believe 7 maybe only 6 9mm bullets including one in the face and he went on to continue making albums

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14135 Times on 5973 Posts
Likes Given: 2344

The information was for ONE SHOT stops. Not TWO SHOT STOPS. Different data. One does NOT equate to the other. You can no more add percentages in separate probability events than you can use SpellCheck to change the flavor of your alphabet soup.
People Like This 
Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #5

Liked 1917 Times on 992 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCakie View Post
I would agree with your 245% theory because if all five shots hit the intended button on the bad guys shirt I can pretty much guarantee he's not gonna be in much shape to fight back... But if ya look at other examples there was a popular rapper who took I believe 7 maybe only 6 9mm bullets including one in the face and he went on to continue making albums.
I don't much care for rap either, but I think that's a little overboard. Boy! Talk about harsh music critics!

Last edited by Vincine; 03-14-2014 at 10:14 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

Liked 577 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
...You can no more add percentages in separate probability events than you can use SpellCheck to change the flavor of your alphabet soup.
I don't know where you come up with these but you sure give me lots of laughs

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12132 Times on 6386 Posts
Likes Given: 11811

And if the goblin in on dope or schizoid, half a dozen COM hits will not "put him down on the spot" without a CNS hit.

Handguns just aren't that powerful. None of them.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7462 Times on 3977 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
And if the goblin in on dope or schizoid, half a dozen COM hits will not "put him down on the spot" without a CNS hit.

Handguns just aren't that powerful. None of them.
Even rifles have issues at times without a cns hit
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-15-2014, 01:32 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6247 Times on 4130 Posts
Likes Given: 3212

Dealing with the Marshall type charts, we also need to remember, they show calculated averages. Also, the sample sizes vary widely, and are not necessarily large enough to have a great predictive value.

Here is a simplified example.

The average air temperatures in San Francisco and Indiana are the same: 57 F. While in SF it is also the most common (median) reading, in Indiana it is a calculated average between -17F and +102, and the actual temperature wasn't 57 F on any given day

That said, the Marshall methodology is sound, just needs to be taken for what it is. (I've been digitally tarred and feathered for defending it)

Last edited by Mercator; 03-15-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6247 Times on 4130 Posts
Likes Given: 3212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I don't much care for rap either, but I think that's a little overboard. Boy! Talk about harsh music critics!
Ever heard of street cred?