Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Steel casings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 91 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Steel casings

I know a lot of people stay away from steel because they have a greater tendency to jam, but is that all? I have been told by some that they can quickly damage the barrel as well, then others tell me that it doesn't. What the truth? Personally I have had 0 problems with steel jamming but I don't want to continue to shoot with them if they cause damage to the rifle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #2

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here is a link to a study on the effects of shooting steel. Supposedly it's the bullet not the case that's bad. The jacket is not 100% copper but a copper alloy. I don't know how correct it is. I have shoot enough steel through mine to know it will handle them. From now on I'll shoot brass cased, I need cases to reload.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2613 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Steel is not a problem in firearms designed for steel cased ammo. If you will look at the two main Russian rounds (7.62 X 39 and 7.62 X 54R) you will notice a design difference from the NATO ammo (5.56 and 7.62 X 51). The body of the Russian ammo has a pronounced body taper. This tapered body allows the less maleable steel case to expand properly to seal off the bore.

AK's, SKS's and Mosin-Nagants have generous chamber dimensions to allow for laquer to build up and not affect functioning. The tight tolerances of the AR/M-16 do not. Many people report malfunctions with laquer or polymer coated 5.56 in Stoner's designs. The Zinc coated "Silver Bear" should not give such problems.

I have no reason to believe the relatively soft steel cases of ammunition will have any appreciable affect on bolts, extractors or chambers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5330 Times on 2782 Posts
Likes Given: 339

steel wont harm your gun any more than brass during the normal operation life of your firearm. the difference in wear is hardly measurable.

if your chamber isnt chrome lined you may experience extraction issues with some steel cases. steel cases have a much higher chance of case head seperation in ar15's so keep a broken shell extractor handy

there is more blowby into the bolt channel and firing pin channel so more frequent cleaning may be needed.

other than that there is nothing wrong it. i wouldnt rely on steel cased stuff for self defense purely because of the broken case issue

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I shot steel MFS through my SpikesTactical AR and haven't had one problem with it.
I also use brass too.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 91 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 29

thanks so much guys!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5217 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 4452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I know a lot of people stay away from steel because they have a greater tendency to jam, but is that all? I have been told by some that they can quickly damage the barrel as well, then others tell me that it doesn't. What the truth? Personally I have had 0 problems with steel jamming but I don't want to continue to shoot with them if they cause damage to the rifle.

MY God, won't that damned MYTH ever die???

Golda Meier.