Steel Casings..?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Steel Casings..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Steel Casings..?

When I was growing up I would go to the rifle range with my father. I loved it! All of the casing that my dad and I fired down range were all brass.

I went shooting with a few buddies about a week ago. We met at one buddy's farm property. I own two rifles. But I'm looking into a 9mm semi-auto pistol. Another buddy brought his Glock 22 for me to shoot. He bought some TulAmmo .40 to shoot because it was very cold and we had about half-inch of snow on the ground. He reloads but he didn't want to police the spent casings to reload.

I had no idea these were even around, like I said before all I knew was brass. I know steel casings can't be reloaded.

Are there any downfalls to these types of rounds that could damage the firearms that one would use? The only thing I would use these rounds for would be at the range because they're cheap Any other use I would use brass (i.e. personal protection, home defense and the proverbial SHTF )

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #2

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
When I was growing up I would go to the rifle range with my father. I loved it! All of the casing that my dad and I fired down range were all brass.

I went shooting with a few buddies about a week ago. We met at one buddy's farm property. I own two rifles. But I'm looking into a 9mm semi-auto pistol. Another buddy brought his Glock 22 for me to shoot. He bought some TulAmmo .40 to shoot because it was very cold and we had about half-inch of snow on the ground. He reloads but he didn't want to police the spent casings to reload.

I had no idea these were even around, like I said before all I knew was brass. I know steel casings can't be reloaded.

Are there any downfalls to these types of rounds that could damage the firearms that one would use? The only thing I would use these rounds for would be at the range because they're cheap Any other use I would use brass (i.e. personal protection, home defense and the proverbial SHTF )
I have heard for years that they were bad for your guns, and have never seen any evidenceof such damage. The Russians have used steel casings for years with no problem. But, I had a bad experience not a week ago with Tula ammo, I went to chamber a round and the bullet fell out of the casing... I won't be buying any more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5913 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 415

downside of steel cases:

cannot be loaded past mid range loads as steel doesnt expand and seal the chamber. hotter loads cause case rupture or case head seperation. you also get blowback due to the unsealed chamber. usually not an issue since steel isnt typically loaded very hot.

secondly steel cases corrode fast so a preservative is needed to prevent that. typical a lacquer is used to prevent rust. if your chamber is chrome lined this isnt an issue. if your chamber is NOT chrome lined a round left in a hot chamber will melt the lacquer and it can build up on the chamber walls leading eventually to stuck cases. the lacquer will not coat chromed chambers. thats why you see some AR15 users shoot steel just fine and others have problems.

you can safely shoot steel in an unchromed bore so long as you dont let the rifle get too hot.

steel cases are contrary to myth reloadable but they will damage non-carbide dies over time. reloading steel cases dies must be cleaned frequently to remove lacquer buildup.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
But, I had a bad experience not a week ago with Tula ammo, I went to chamber a round and the bullet fell out of the casing... I won't be buying any more.
If I quit buying every product I had one bad experience with I'd sure save a lot of money...

Old 01-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

Many of the steel cases also use Berdan primers. Berdan has flash hole(s) offset from center, and cannot be reloaded using standard reloading gear (which is for Boxer primers) Berdan primed rounds CAN be reloaded, but IMHO are a huge PITA.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #6

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
If I quit buying every product I had one bad experience with I'd sure save a lot of money...
Having one or two FTF out of a 50 round box is understandable, when you have one round fall apart and about five more pull apart with the greatest of ease, that is inexcusable.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #7

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had a problem shooting ammo with steel cases in a Mosin Nagant. The 7.62 x 54 ammo had lacquer-coated steel cases. After firing a few shots the barrel would start getting hot and the lacquer coating on additional rounds would soften up, causing the spent brass to stick in the chamber. I had to use a cleaning rod to remove the brass. I did not have this problem when I shot ammo with brass cases.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #8

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I shoot steel case TulAmmo .45 FMJ out of my 4595TS carbine all day long.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2942 Times on 1532 Posts
Likes Given: 261

You just now noticed steel cased ammo? Have you been hiding under a rock? Steel cased ammo has been around since at least the 1940's. The US made .45 ACP and .30 Carbine ammo with steel cases in WWII.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
You just now noticed steel cased ammo? Have you been hiding under a rock?
Lol not exactly. But like said I only ever shot brass with my dad so thats what I know.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."