Steel cased ammo - confused
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Steel cased ammo - confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 96 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Steel cased ammo - confused

Apologize if this is a stupid question. I read the posted "myths of steel cased ammo" in hopes of an answer, but I need someone to explain this.

My local indoor range asked to see my AK ammo last time in, and all I had with me was steel cased Tula. They held a magnet to it, and of course it stuck. They said they have a new rule of no magnetic ammo due to it being too hard on their backstops.

Last time I checked my casings don't go downrange. What am I missing??? Do the projectiles themselves in steel cased rounds contain something different??

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes some bullets are steel that is copper washed. Idk if most steel cased ammo is like this but all the 762x54r i have is copper washed steel bullets.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
Yes some bullets are steel that is copper washed. Idk if most steel cased ammo is like this but all the 762x54r i have is copper washed steel bullets.
Ok, that makes sense as to their concern. Thank you.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

Liked 74 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 204

NEVER a stupid question out there. If you do not know - you should ask. Lots of smart folks on this forum. experts even!!!
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

Liked 221 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 87

I got the same treatment at a local pistol range when shooting comblock ammo in my CZ82. So I asked them to at least put up a sign notifying the customers of that rule.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Liked 2483 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 568

A lot of the steel cased ammo uses some iron alloy for a jacket, because it is cheeper to produce than copper jackets. It is mild steel, but it can indeed be a bit harder on backstops and the snail shell bullet traps at indoor ranges. They can also cause some sparking that they don't like.

Folks used to try the magnet test to prove that steel penetrator cores were in the com-block ammo. It doesn't really prove anything when there is a steel jacket thta they magnet will stick to. Some ranges just don't want steel cased ammo mixed in with all of their brass that they like to steel, or uh, I mean, keep for recycling or reloading. Though a big magnet makes it easy to sort.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense.

I have other ammo, but I have a ton of Tula too. Gotta find a way to use it now. I'm joining an outdoor range in the spring.....hopefully I can use it there.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3455 Times on 1779 Posts
Likes Given: 374

The sinister truth here is it is more about their bottom line than their backstops. Many indoor ranges make more money selling the brass than they do renting their space. Steel cases are worthless. Brass cases are worth $ to the range operators.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The sinister truth here is it is more about their bottom line than their backstops. Many indoor ranges make more money selling the brass than they do renting their space. Steel cases are worthless. Brass cases are worth $ to the range operators.
Yea, and another possible ulterior motive might be the sale of new ammo. The first thing the guy did when he failed the ammo was whip out ammo from them I could use. I declined, as I had other firearms to shoot, but I'm sure they are selling some as a result.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #10

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
I agree. Some ranges do allow it, you just need to call around.