Stay away from Tul-Ammo!! - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Stay away from Tul-Ammo!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Why do people spend big money on a fine firearm then shoot the cheapest ammo they can find? Never understood this logic.
Well, sometimes (especially during the last run on ammo when you couldn't find any) it's because that is all that is available....
I have an AK - in the grand scheme of things it is not a very expensive firearm. I pretty much ONLY shoot Tula ammo through it. Have never had a problem at all.

I also, at the higher end, own an Ed Brown 1911. It is what I would consider to be expensive. There have been times when I could not find any .45 ammo except Tula steel case.
So I bought it and have no qualms whatsoever shooting the heck out of it in my EB - have done so many times.
I will say that, given a choice, I will buy Winchester White Box or other brass case (but lower cost) target rounds to shoot.

Bottom line is that this type of problem can happen with any factory loads & I do not feel the need to "baby" any of my guns with the most expensive factory loads.
I am trying to find the 'best' FMJ target loads for the least amount of money.
I guess that I figure if I paid that much for an EB then it should damn well shoot and feed anything that I want to put in it.

Just me though....
Old 03-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #42

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

...and Promag magazines filled with Tulammo dont work much either... not for me atleast. Sig P220.

Sent from my Winchester 1300 Defender using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5740 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_marquez View Post
...and Promag magazines filled with Tulammo dont work much either... not for me atleast. Sig P220.

Have you tried them in a real, honest to goodness SIG magazine??
russian ammo feeds fine in my P220, P226, and P239 with SIG magazines.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Picked up 2 boxes of 9 mm & a box of 45 ACP today.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:53 AM   #45

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Have you tried them in a real, honest to goodness SIG magazine??
russian ammo feeds fine in my P220, P226, and P239 with SIG magazines.
Yes, in my SIG magazines they feed fine. My previous post says the Tulammo doesnt work well with my Promag magazine. The squib fed from my SIG magazine.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #46

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Bingo...

Squib rounds can happen with any brand, I was present for 1 myself last summer when it happened to a buddy shooting a SIG 229.

Fortunately, he is also former military and had the "pop no kick" drilled into him well.

Massed produced ammo can occasionally miss adding a powder load or a "short load" and can lodge a round in the barrel with the expanding gases produced by the primer alone.

If the round seats deeply enough to allow the next round to chamber and the shooters not received this training, the end result is often KABOOM.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I would have thought that if a bullet gets lodged in the barrel, the round would not have sounded "normal"

This can happen with any ammo. I have had that happen with Federal that was not stored correctly or properly.

The key is to stop shooting when you hear or feel something strange. Don't try to dislodge such a bullet with another.

Did the casing eject properly?

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-23-2014 at 04:49 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #47

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

IMO, a squib load is far, far more dangerous than a hot load.

About 25 years ago, I loaded a batch of .270 and missed putting powder in exactly two rounds....a tall blonde called and I took the call. When I got back, I got mixed up in where I was in the process. By the grace of God, I loaded those 2 rounds consecutively. After the first round FTF, I assumed that I'd just forgotten to eject the last one and cycled the bolt. The second "click" send a chill down my spine and I'll never forget looking down the barrel and seeing black.

After that, nobody interrupts my reloading sessions. Squib loads are not to be trifled with.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

People Like This 
Old 03-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #48

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Squibs with factory ammo happen. The only way to prevent it is to load your own and make sure you check the powder level in every case.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_marquez View Post
I had used Tula-Ammo a few times before, very dirty and questionable ammo. I figured ocassional range drills with it would be ok. UNTIL one FMJ stopped mid-barrel. The 2nd round fired and caused heavy damag to my barrel. "Barrel bulge" was the result and although I did everything I could, it had to get sent in to a Sig gunsmith. $449 later, I had a new barrel and some minor damage repaired. I have used Tula-Ammo on AR-15 and every 2 or 3 rounds the gun jammed. Fed my regular Remington's in it and no feeding problems. I am staying away from using this ammo again... cheap to buy but it results in too costly repairs.

I don't understand why all the problems. I use TulAmmo for practice rounds in almost every calibre they make. I've never had a single issue in over three years of heavy use. I highly recommend it. I bit dirty...yes. I clean every firearm after a couple boxes of any ammo used anyway. A clean firearm is a dependable firearm...)

God bless our troops, specially the snipers!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoTheCommando View Post
I feel like a stoppage like that could happen with any factory ammo. I have a few hundred rounds of tulla. Maybe ill sell it? Although, I do know guys that run tulla rifle and pistol ammo who have had no problems in thousands of rounds.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app
I'll buy it if you wanna sell it, depending in caliber....)

God bless our troops, specially the snipers!