Static electricity - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Static electricity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Did you see the mythbusters in which they ignited flour? edit* may have been sawdust
It was powdered coffee creamer.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

orangello Likes This 
Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21300 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

dust even from something like grain can be explosive under the right conditions. any ever seen pictures of a grain silo explosion? it's not pretty.

so, give that grain in of itself would not be considered explosive, but gunpowder by it's nature and design is, wouldn't a prudent person at least think that given the right conditions, that static electricity could cause it be set afire?

why not err on the side of caution and play it safe in regards to static electricity and gun powder.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:54 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8134 Times on 4695 Posts
Likes Given: 10499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
dust even from something like grain can be explosive under the right conditions. any ever seen pictures of a grain silo explosion? it's not pretty.

so, give that grain in of itself would not be considered explosive, but gunpowder by it's nature and design is, wouldn't a prudent person at least think that given the right conditions, that static electricity could cause it be set afire?

why not err on the side of caution and play it safe in regards to static electricity and gun powder.
Well, I wonder why the reloading industry as a whole does not recommend grounding everything they make. if there was even the slightest chance of a liability they would have everything grounded from the get-go.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Well, I wonder why the reloading industry as a whole does not recommend grounding everything they make. if there was even the slightest chance of a liability they would have everything grounded from the get-go.
They could still be in the denial/"cigarettes don't cause cancer" phase before they are regulated to death by the federalis.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

bradam Likes This 
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #25

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Well ....thousands of people view these threads...has anyone seen or heard of static electricity setting off primers or powder? In high school (Catholic) we had to wear coat jackets and Hush Puppies. (for all of you young'ins, those were a very soft shoe which did NOT leave any scuff marks.
Anyway, our seats and seat backs were plastic, and between the wool jackets in winter, the insulated shoes and the seats, we could stir up quite a spark on everything we touched....including the ears of some unsuspecting fellow in the seat ahead of us.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 AM   #26
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Has anybody set up or feel the need for grounding a reloading press?
You really need to quit over-thinking things.
This isn't rocket science.
In the 30+ years that I've reloaded,I've only had one primer explode on me. I was priming my cases on one of my presses,and something set one off when I pressed it into the case.
It was pretty loud,and scared the crap out of me,but that was it!

I wouldn't worry too much about static electricity,but I also wouldn't reload in a room with carpet in it.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 AM   #27

Liked 685 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
Well ....thousands of people view these threads...has anyone seen or heard of static electricity setting off primers or powder? In high school (Catholic) we had to wear coat jackets and Hush Puppies. (for all of you young'ins, those were a very soft shoe which did NOT leave any scuff marks.
Anyway, our seats and seat backs were plastic, and between the wool jackets in winter, the insulated shoes and the seats, we could stir up quite a spark on everything we touched....including the ears of some unsuspecting fellow in the seat ahead of us.
No never, can't happen. Did you watch the video I posted earlier? Simply can't happen.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21300 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
No never, can't happen. Did you watch the video I posted earlier? Simply can't happen.
never and can't are pretty strong words. the probability might be slight, but under the right conditions, i believe it's definately possible for static electricity to set off gunpowder.

and i'll state again, gunpowder is flammable and explosive by nature of it's design and purpose, grain dust isn't, but even grain dust can cause massive explosions under the right conditions. Google grain silo explosions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion

Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
BIG1, you need to PM Austin or one of the mods to advertise.

One of our forumites worked for a ammo manufacturer and had a primer explosion that was due to static, IIRC.
My explosion wasn't caused by static. It was a jam in the hopper and they went off when I tried to clear the jam. Not saying it isn't possible though. When I worked there everything was grounded from equipment to employees and even conductive paint on the floor (or that's what the safety manager said). It's better safe than sorry. If I were you I would ground. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app
Old 03-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #30

Liked 685 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
never and can't are pretty strong words. the probability might be slight, but under the right conditions, i believe it's definately possible for static electricity to set off gunpowder.

and i'll state again, gunpowder is flammable and explosive by nature of it's design and purpose, grain dust isn't, but even grain dust can cause massive explosions under the right conditions. Google grain silo explosions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wNRYmgUNTg
Apples to oranges at best. Dust comes in all kinda forms, from wood to grain to man made products and YES it can and will ignite and explode from static.

Powder is not "dust" and is not going to ignite from static on the bench in it's original form.