starting to reload for personal consumption.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

starting to reload for personal consumption.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default starting to reload for personal consumption.

what are the points needed to start reloading.. I have a little idea on it but need more technical issues. My 9mm reloader will be arriving soon, its a Lee Precision got from a local gunstore here worth P16,500 or $370. I know also where i can get the shell, gun powder, primer and the lead bullet covered with teflon. My question is since i am starting to reload, how much powder will i use -- depending on the weight of the 9mm lead bullet? is there a different die for every weight? and let say everything is set and in order, is there any point that a bullet would burst or explode during reloading? what precautions should be done based on your experiences.. need help,opinions, wisdom of the most experienced people here. thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #2

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Start here:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/new-reloading-look-here-15130/

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #3

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

There are many different manuals. I started with a paperback from Hodgden. It is about the size of a Guns & Ammo magazine. You can also get some good books at Sportsman's Warehouse. I have the Nosler book too. But it is very limited on bullet weight. The best book I have found is called "One Book/One Caliber." It is not the best looking book around. It almost looks like somebody just made a bunch of photocopies and bound them with a cheap plastic spiral. They run about $7 or $8. They are a wealth of info. I have 3 or 4 of these books. The one for 40 S&W says there are 2667 proven and tested loads. 68 Various Bullet Designs. 50 different powders. I haven't counted. But there is a massive amount of info in these books.

One thing to remember reloading, this is very important, never start at max load. Read your books very carefully. If your book offers a starting load use it. If it doesn't reduce the max load by 10%. That is a good starting point. Check your brass while you shoot. Pay attention for heavy recoil, exrta loud gun shot, or delayed reaction. Some people try to cut loads way below recommended specs. That can be as bad as too hot a load. You could have a bullet that doesn't leave the barrel.

I am not trying to scare you. I just want you to be aware and careful. When I start a new caliber or bullet weight, I like to make 5 rounds with a certain weight of powder. Then 5 more with .2 grains higher, then 5 more with .2 higher than those. I keep doing this until I reach max. I keep them in ziplock bags and mark the bags with a black marker as to which is which. I will then take everything with me to the range. I test fire the lightest first. Then move my way up. If they get too hot they will sometimes cause the open end of the brass to hit the ejector. It puts a good sized ding in the mouth. Also watch your primers. Sometimes when you get overpressure it will leave very faint lines going across the face of the primer.

Be careful with full pressure loads. I would never make full pressure with a progressive loader. Powder that is measured by volume does fluctuate in weight. Always go .2 grains below max with a progressive.

This is all my personal opinion. Some will agree some will not. Just be careful and you will have more fun than you can imagine.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong View Post
My question is since i am starting to reload, how much powder will i use -- depending on the weight of the 9mm lead bullet?
That all depends on the recipe you use. There are 7000 grains in a pound of powder. Say the recipe you decide on takes 5 grains of powder, Divide 7000 by 5 and that pound of powder will reload 1400 rounds.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong View Post
what are the points needed to start reloading.. I have a little idea on it but need more technical issues. My 9mm reloader will be arriving soon, its a Lee Precision got from a local gunstore here worth P16,500 or $370. I know also where i can get the shell, gun powder, primer and the lead bullet covered with teflon. My question is since i am starting to reload, how much powder will i use -- depending on the weight of the 9mm lead bullet? is there a different die for every weight? and let say everything is set and in order, is there any point that a bullet would burst or explode during reloading? what precautions should be done based on your experiences.. need help,opinions, wisdom of the most experienced people here. thanks.
You will only need one set of dies for all your 9mm loads. The single most important precaution is to be very sure you're using the right type (burning rate) of gun powder and the correct amount in grains (weight - weighed on a reloading scale) and to be absolutely sure you only charge each case only once. If you accidentally double charge a case, the cartridge could blow your gun up when you fire it. Reloading is safe if done right. There is very little risk of a cartridge exploding during the reloading process. Just to be safe. Always wear eye protection.

Get yourself some reloading manuals as others have suggested and learn everything in them. The whole process may seem complicated and confusing at first, but will become easy through time. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10733 Times on 4644 Posts
Likes Given: 1751

You have been given good advice. I suggest to any new loader, get a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" and read it first.

DO wear safety glasses when reloading. I have had a primer "pop"- usually when I had failed to pay attention to what I was doing.

1. Read load data
2. USE load data

If you decide you do not need to do that, you are convinced you are smarter than the folks that MAKE powder and bullets for a living. Please alert other shooters on the line so they may move to a safe place- like the Hooters 2 zip codes away.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Go to the website of the powder maker (Hodgdon, Alliant, etc) and look at their data. Always approach max loads with caution.

The ABC's of reloading is a good book. The loading manuals put out by Hornaday, Lyman and Sierra are also good references. Find someone locally that loads and bounce ideas off them. Experience is invaluable.

I know IPSC is pretty big in the PI. To find a reloader, check the local IPSC clubs.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default +1 of what Rick says..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
There are many different manuals. I started with a paperback from Hodgden. It is about the size of a Guns & Ammo magazine. You can also get some good books at Sportsman's Warehouse. I have the Nosler book too. But it is very limited on bullet weight. The best book I have found is called "One Book/One Caliber." It is not the best looking book around. It almost looks like somebody just made a bunch of photocopies and bound them with a cheap plastic spiral. They run about $7 or $8. They are a wealth of info. I have 3 or 4 of these books. The one for 40 S&W says there are 2667 proven and tested loads. 68 Various Bullet Designs. 50 different powders. I haven't counted. But there is a massive amount of info in these books.

One thing to remember reloading, this is very important, never start at max load. Read your books very carefully. If your book offers a starting load use it. If it doesn't reduce the max load by 10%. That is a good starting point. Check your brass while you shoot. Pay attention for heavy recoil, extra loud gun shot, or delayed reaction. Some people try to cut loads way below recommended specs. That can be as bad as too hot a load. You could have a bullet that doesn't leave the barrel.

I am not trying to scare you. I just want you to be aware and careful. When I start a new caliber or bullet weight, I like to make 5 rounds with a certain weight of powder. Then 5 more with .2 grains higher, then 5 more with .2 higher than those. I keep doing this until I reach max. I keep them in ziplock bags and mark the bags with a black marker as to which is which. I will then take everything with me to the range. I test fire the lightest first. Then move my way up. If they get too hot they will sometimes cause the open end of the brass to hit the ejector. It puts a good sized ding in the mouth. Also watch your primers. Sometimes when you get overpressure it will leave very faint lines going across the face of the primer.

Be careful with full pressure loads. I would never make full pressure with a progressive loader. Powder that is measured by volume does fluctuate in weight. Always go .2 grains below max with a progressive.

This is all my personal opinion. Some will agree some will not. Just be careful and you will have more fun than you can imagine.
Bottom line is--Pay attention-be careful+Have fun. For me, after close to 40 years of hand loading-I would say 75-80% of my loads are in the middle of the load specs. taken out of several sources.