Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Starting a collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 969 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 525

Default Starting a collection

God is first family is second my company is 3rd . There is a coin toss for me on what order my guns or ammo is in . I am trying to make a display in a very nice case of EVERY ROUND that has been made , and by that I mean each caliber from very old to very new , obsolete to common . I dont want to get into the different types of a certain round just one of each for the specific cal . LIke all of the different .32s that were made and all of the safari rounds , military rounds ect . I know this is a monumental task and possibly a exspensive one as well as you wont find a 700 nitro round just sitting around . But I am looking for general pointers and how to unload the rounds w/o damage more so how to deprime a live primer . I know i can get a bullet puller to unload the powder . I am listing this as a long term project and later I will do the different types of a certain round . But now I am looking for a list with every caliber ever made if a list does exist

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Most guys have live ammo in their ammo board. It is worth more that way.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Expensive?

You wouldn't believe!

Try David Call's, A Call to Arms. He sells them one at a time. Get your wallet out. Some of the old rounds are either too expensive or just not available.

I send David ~$50 each time I visit his web store.

Great guy, give him a look.

AMMO-ONE

PS Why unload the rounds?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #4

well i have a antiuqe display counter like you would find in a early 30's general store that should be plenty of room , glass sides and top with a solid back , all joints are dove tailed so its a nice one , any safety issue with old rounds getting older , getting maybe touch or impact sensitive ?

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have been a collector for nearly 50 years. I think some advise may be nessasary. First and foremost NEVER polish or over clean a cartridge. Next, except for research purposes, never unload a cartridge. It is not a cartridge anymore, just brass and bullet. To get 90% of all calibers would be a monumental task. While most beginning collectors start the same as you, we eventually have to realise that we cant have them all, so we specialize in a few calibers, or bullet. Some collect just the boxes. The best advise I can suggest is to find a collector in your area that is willing to help a new collector get started. I have helped many young collectors, and allowed them to scroung in my extra's.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

yep i got the expensive part right . i think i will bypass the experamental rounds and stick to the ones the general public had or were widely used at some point in history . if you have a respectable display what are the ballpark values for them ? The biggest issue is when i find a round for a gun i dont own , that makes me want to go out and buy a gun that shoots it I found a decent rash of old 303 rounds so now i have to pick one up at the next dixe show

Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Hell, I could send you a 1940's MKVII .303, 8x57, a little more modern 7.62x54r, 7.62x51, 7.5x55, 6.5x55 for the price of shipping.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8416 Times on 3648 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

guns-misc-004.jpg click to enlarge

There are more different cartidges that you can carry in a 1/2 ton pickup. Go buy a copy of Cartridges of the World, then remind yourself they do not have 1/10th of all the different cartridges. I have a FEW. Shotshells from 6mm rimfire to 4 guage, and miscellany.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-13-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

guns-misc-005.jpg

Here are a few more. Mainly rifle, from .14 Alton Jones to .600 Nitro Express.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

guns-misc-006.jpg

Mainly handgun- including a Gyrojet rocket pistol round, a Dardick Tround, an Allen Lipfire, a Plant cupfire, a Moore & Williams Teatfire- and a 2mm round on the square of white paper.

These are a VERY small fraction of all the stuff that is out there. I did not include a pic of my Crispin cartridge- it is a commerative repo- a single original authenticated Crispin cartridge is several hundred $$$$.

No, there is not problem with sensitivity of old ammo- it actually becomes LESS sensitive with age. Like some of us.