Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Starter Setup (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/starter-setup-63702/)

silverado113 05-02-2012 04:50 PM

Starter Setup

Alright so here is my setup to begin reloading. I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything or if anyone has any equipment suggestions that I should add.

Lee Turret Press with Auto Index.
Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure.
Autodisk Powder Measure Riser.
Large and Small Safety Prime System.
Safety Powder Scale.
Case Conditioning Kit (Including: Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud, Chamfer Tool, Large and Small Primer Pocket Cleaner, Lee Case Sizing Lube).
Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Revised Reloading Manual.
Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger.
Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set .45 ACP.
Speer Reloading Manual #14.

beaglesam 05-02-2012 09:45 PM

Brass tumbler for beautiful casings.

mountainman13 05-02-2012 11:18 PM

I think you are gonna need all the bullet components too. Lol

ktmboyz 05-03-2012 03:02 AM

You are going to need a vernier caliper to check you cartridge overall length , and your case length if you dont have a case gauge. Essential tool for reloading !!!!!!!!!!!!!

cottontop 05-03-2012 03:50 AM

One of the best tools you can have is an experienced reloader to actually help you get started. This can save you lots of time and trouble. I know it isn't always easy though to find a person to be there and guide you. Take all of the advice from the guys on this forum. They have many years of combined experience and can help you if you get stuck someplace. Let us know how you do.
cottontop

silverado113 05-03-2012 04:26 AM

Yeah I've tried looking around here but can't seem to find anyone that reloads, of course I refuse to go into one of the LGS cause their customer service sucks. I may have suck up some pride and actually shop there for powder and primers.I had the digital caliper and arsenal tumbler but didn't include it. @ mountain what are these bullet components you speak of? You mean the press doesn't come preloaded?lol :rolleyes:

BikerRN 05-03-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113 (Post 788276)
Alright so here is my setup to begin reloading. I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything or if anyone has any equipment suggestions that I should add.

Lee Turret Press with Auto Index.
Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure.
Autodisk Powder Measure Riser.
Large and Small Safety Prime System.
Safety Powder Scale.
Case Conditioning Kit (Including: Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud, Chamfer Tool, Large and Small Primer Pocket Cleaner, Lee Case Sizing Lube).
Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Revised Reloading Manual.
Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger.
Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set .45 ACP.
Speer Reloading Manual #14.

I would add calipers, second scale, I prefer digital, and loading blocks.

jjfuller1 05-03-2012 04:23 PM

i say caliper, and tumbler

Overkill0084 05-03-2012 04:27 PM

Suggestions (by no means mandatory):

Lyman 49th Reloading manual.
If you end up shooting a lot of cast bullets: Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

A less aggravating scale (nearly anything else). You'll see what I mean.

I don't know how many are included (probably just one), but you need at least one more turret. (one per caliber unless you like frustration)

+10 on the calipers. They are mandatory.

Axxe55 05-03-2012 05:02 PM

yes on the calipers. the tumbler, though not an absolute nessecary item is very useful and something to add later if you are on a budget. loading blocks, not nessecary, but very helpful. these could be made from a 2x4 or 2x6 if you have the desire to do so, as i have seen some made this way. i have a beam scale, but have pretty much retired it for the digital one now. i think you are headed in the right direction though.