Which starter kit to get started reloading? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Which starter kit to get started reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

for me the safety prime works 100% of the time untill you get down to just a couple primers left. You can still get it to work, but it takes some persistance.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
"I've been told by the reloaders in my area is to stay away from single stage equipment. According to them it'll take 10 minutes from start to finish to complete one single round of ammo. That's a long time if you're wanting to do quantity."

Weeelll...maybe your local reloaders are spoofing you a bit! Or more than a bit? That would require some 200 minutes to do a box of 20 rifle loads, three hours twenty minutes. I can easily load a box in about thirty minutes on my single stages, precisely and without hurrying. If I had the quick-change die bushings I could cut maybe 30-40 seconds off that time.

A single stage press is for precision, a progressive is made for speed. The right choice depends on what you need most.
Instead of harping on one thing...why don't you read & comprehend the rest of my threads on this topic.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #43

Likes Given: 1

Megaton said:

Quote:
for me the safety prime works 100% of the time untill you get down to just a couple primers left. You can still get it to work, but it takes some persistance.
It works great for me also. I just had to find the right position where it hit the primer seater cup consistently and with little resistance. I don't mess with trying to get the last primer to feed. I us up all but one and reload.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #44

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Try some of these:

Missouri Bullet Company

Rocky Mountain Reloading

Powder Valley, Inc.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 AM   #45

If this is your first press and you are new to reloading, get a single stage single station high quality press, the dies do not take that long to change and setup and will keep your caliper reading skills current. Get rid of any press mounted priming accessories as most of them install the primer opposite of the way the press is designed to work. buy a hand primer instead.
A quality scale, alot of reloading manuals, a good case trimmer, a solid and organized bench to mount it on, powder and metallic components for whatever you are reloading, and last but most important is a good set of un-impaired eyeballs to inspect and admire what you created!
And then go shoot it and have FUN!!!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 05-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #46

Any signifigant difference between plated and hard cast lead? Assuming the plated is cleaner to handle, but other than that they are about the same, no?

Quote:
I don't mess with trying to get the last primer to feed. I us up all but one and reload.
I do the same, however if one were to be switching between brand or type of primer using every last primer would be needed and its something that should be considered IMO. It takes just a second to deprime, size, and reprime a case up to the last couple that probably take a good 30 seconds a piece. More of an annoyance than anything but time is precious and I guess every minute counts to some.

Gordo I have to disagree, for me at least I am really liking the safety prime system. Initially I was skeptical and somewhat leaning towards the other kit that comes with the hand primer, but after some thought I went with the press mounted system and am happy I did. In the rare event that something bad happens, my hands are not in any sort of danger, and the system produces a great "feel" if you will of how much resistance it took to seat the primer. I am very very happy with it.

After loading a few hundred rounds I would say on average it takes me a little under an hour to do 50 rounds. If I am making an adjustment to powder weight then I am looking at an extra 10 minutes. I could do it quicker but I prefer to make things precise. As far as the accuracy of the equipment in the kit I purchased, everything has been very accurate. Granted I am using Bullseye which I understand throws very accurate in most powder measurers, but I never see a deviation of more than .1g and nearly all loads I weigh are dead on. I usually weigh every 5th charge if I have made a change in powder weight, and if not I will weigh every 10th charge assuming there are no hicups. I always visually inspect each charge when it is thrown, and visually inspect the entire tray after I am done throwing powder, and again before I seat the bullet. Tripple check for safety. I know it won't tell me if I am a half a grain off, but it will tell me if I have a double charge or a super light charge.

I played around with some different loads and they all seem to group the same. All of my reloads have been right around 2" at 12y using my hood as a rest out of my bone stock GP100. I managed a couple 6 shot groups close to an inch, and I am sure that if I could do my part better I could achieve groups like that at 25y. Just too hard without optics mounted with my eyes and my nerves. 5 rounds of Remington 125g JSP 357 mag grouped at 1.5" with a flyer that was the fault of my nerves. Second shot of magnums did produce a small flinch after 75 rounds of 38sp, many of them on the light side.

I did manage to keep 12 rounds on a notebook sheet of paper at 50 yards, which was impressive to me. Id love to see what I could do with a 2.5x pistol scope.

Last edited by Megaton; 05-16-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #47

Likes Given: 1

Just an FYI... I had one issue with the Safety prime a while ago. The primers quit feeding down the tube/ramp. No matter how I would shake it they wouldn't drop. After closer inspection I noticed that the unit had pulled apart a bit where the primer reservoir and the head meet. I had to push them back together and didn't have a problem after that.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #48

Underfire: "Instead of harping on one thing...why don't you read & comprehend the rest of my threads on this topic."

Man, I ain't even gonna read all the posts you've made on this thread, much less read all your threads. But, you said:

"I too am beginning to research reloading equipment.
One thing that I've been told by the reloaders in my area is to stay
away from single stage equipment. According to them it'll take 10 minutes
from start to finish to complete one single round of ammo."

So, I suggested that may be an over statement and you take offense?? Goodness.

Have a happy day, I will. And you should load as rapidly or slowly as you like.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 05-17-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
Underfire: "Instead of harping on one thing...why don't you read & comprehend the rest of my threads on this topic."

Man, I ain't even gonna read all the posts you've made on this thread, much less read all your threads. But, you said:

"I too am beginning to research reloading equipment.
One thing that I've been told by the reloaders in my area is to stay
away from single stage equipment. According to them it'll take 10 minutes
from start to finish to complete one single round of ammo."

So, I suggested that may be an over statement and you take offense?? Goodness.

Have a happy day, I will. And you should load as rapidly or slowly as you like.
Fuzzball,
"Weeelll", you're supporting my case and you don't even realize it.
Because if you would have read my replies in this topic you would see where my point was coming from, but you rather be lazy; jump-in & Flame. Your point is moot because of the previous replies from the repected members of this forum, which if you read further you might have also realized.

A little advise for the newbee-
Don't join this forum and start to flame posted threads, especially
with your 1st post. You flame my thread then cry victim.
Yes, we here do take offense to Flamers.

Now with you continuing is beginning to hurt the OP and others who are trying to learn about reloading & the proper equipment to use. So go away-

Good Day-

Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #50

"if you would have read my replies in this topic you would see where my point was coming from, but you rather be lazy; jump-in & Flame."

Weelll, your opinion of what constitutes a "flame" is different from mine. Some might even feel it's you who's being caustic, not me. And I'm neither supporting nor opposing you, I just made a simple comment that appears to have hurt your feelings in some way I can't conceive. Or care.

You need to understand that your touchy, tender ego is much more important to you that it is to me! I really don't care what you "think"!

Last edited by Fuzzball; 05-17-2010 at 06:16 PM.