Which starter kit to get started reloading? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Which starter kit to get started reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #31
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Is it able to do 12ga. shotgun shells as well with the proper dies?
I don't think you can load shotgun shells with it,you would have to contact Lee about that.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #32
lkd

I bought this 4-hole turret setup from Kempf's and have been VERY happy with it. It's an amazing deal for the price!

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=19 0&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&option=com_v irtuemart&Itemid=41

P.S. - Get both upgrades, you won't regret that either (and for $22 bucks, it's a bargain)

Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #33

ended up getting the lee challenger breech anniversary kit, after doing alot of research I decided I wanted to start with a single stage press. With the quick change bushings die changes take only a matter of seconds and while you can definately pump out more rounds with a turret press, even a complete beginner like myself can easilly load 50 rounds per hour with the single stage, that includes weighing every 5th charge with the included balance beam scale.

Ended up spending alot more than I had anticipated, total bill came out to $360 including tax. That included 2000 primers at $35 per 1000, 500 bullets at $41, and a pound of bullseye for $20. I can get the bullets for signifigantly cheaper online and will be placing an order in the near future, but even at those prices I can load 50 rounds of 357 mag for $7, $18 cheaper than walmart prices. However, I did not get a tumbler, instead I handwashed them with dawn dishsoap in hot water and it worked surprisingly well. I will definately be getting a tumbler in the near future for the convienence, but I don't feel its a necessity to get started.

As far as equipment, the brakedown is as follows.

$99 + tax -lee started kit.
$6 + tax -357mag case length gage
$8 + tax -2 extra quick change bushings (kit came with 3)
$30 + tax -lee carbide 3 die set in 38sp
$18 + tax -lee factory crimp die in 38sp
$9 + tax -universal loading tray
$25 + tax -digital caliper
$18 + tax -bullet puller

grand total of ~$230 including tax. Could have gotten some of the stuff cheaper, but I wanted to get started asap. All I have left on the equipment side to purchase is a tumbler which I found locally for $40. Also a 45acp die set and more quick change bushings. For the time being I am just going to load ALOT of 38sp and 357 mag.

I just finished loading my first 50 rounds of 38sp using federal cases, and a 158g SWC pushed by 3.5g of bullseye. Everything went without a hitch, to anybody considering this, I would highly reccomend it. Even if I only shoot a box a week of 38sp it will have payed for the equipment AND I will save another 300 on top of that. Thats factoring in paying local retail prices on components, if I buy in bulk online the savings will be even higher.

Not to mention I am in all likelyhood loading a higher quality of ammo than I can buy on the shelf at walmart. For the expensive calibers like 38sp, 357mag, and 45acp it just makes sense. Plus its extremely addicting! I can't wait to load the other 250 38sp cases I have.

Haven't gotten to test my rounds yet, experiencing 40mph gusts at the moment, I still might get out there and endure the elements.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #34
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Megaton,Glad you decided and got your reloading kit.Sounds like you are on your way to being a good reloader.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #35

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

congrats on your purchases....hope ya have as much fun as i do when reloading....you can find good tumblers on evilbay(Ebay)...when that time comes,if ya wanna save a lil money...the hand washing works just as good....dish washer works even better... but the misses dosent like it...if your punching holes in paper and wont to save a lil more money,you could purchase some lead bullets...(big mike's cast bullets) have pretty good prices on cast bullets...38spl.-.357 $5.00 per 100...not to shabby

Old 05-11-2010, 03:27 AM   #36

Likes Given: 1

Now you will be addicted... there goes next years tax refund.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #37

wow those are some great prices from big mikes. I will be giving them some business.

Toughed it up and endured the elements, happy to report my first 50 rounds went off without a hitch. Didn't shoot any paper, but was shooting clays at 25y. Hopefully I can get some decent weather this weekend and see how my handloads group.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #38

"I've been told by the reloaders in my area is to stay away from single stage equipment. According to them it'll take 10 minutes from start to finish to complete one single round of ammo. That's a long time if you're wanting to do quantity."

Weeelll...maybe your local reloaders are spoofing you a bit! Or more than a bit? That would require some 200 minutes to do a box of 20 rifle loads, three hours twenty minutes. I can easily load a box in about thirty minutes on my single stages, precisely and without hurrying. If I had the quick-change die bushings I could cut maybe 30-40 seconds off that time.

A single stage press is for precision, a progressive is made for speed. The right choice depends on what you need most.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 05-15-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #39

I just started reloading not too long ago and bought the Lee Anniversary kit as well. Overall I'm quite happy with it. I did replace the beam scale with a digital one though, and I didn't find the Safety Primer Feed attachment all that reliable so I replaced that with a handheld Auto Prime as well. I also found it odd that the Perfect Powder Measure did not mount onto the press but had to be used seperately. But with a small block of wood and a clamp I did manage to mount it so it sits directly above the powder through expanding die with a funnel in between and it worked out well, delivering consistent 3.4-3.5gr charges of Bullseye into .38 spl cases. With everything done in batches I can see myself churning out about 100/hr.

Along with the kit I also ordered the Lee Deluxe carbide 4-die set for 38spl/357mag, an RCBS Rangemaster 750 digital scale and a Hornady M-2 Case Tumbler. I cleaned my brass using ground walnut lizard bedding as my media that I bought from a local pet store and a couple capfuls of Dillon Rapid Polish and it turned out great!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #40

Likes Given: 1

Zombie said:

Quote:
I also found it odd that the Perfect Powder Measure did not mount onto the press but had to be used seperately.
You would have had to go with the Lee Pro Auto-Disc measure and that mounts to the die thru an adapter. The safety prime works good with a little trail and error adjusting.