Which starter kit to get started reloading? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Which starter kit to get started reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
Single stage IS the way to go-starting out! A person needs to get to know their way around a loading press before they go to a progressive press IMO.
This is why I am going with a single stage to start out. Also, I need to make sure this is something I will enjoy doing before I make a large(r) investment. Thats why I have decided on Lee, I know its not the best but it will be a good setup to learn on and in the event this is not for me Im not out hundreds of dollars.

Im going to start loading .357, for me its the logical choice as the ammo is hard to come by and quite pricey at $25+ per 50. I think I can load my own for around $5-6 per 50 since I already have the brass. It will be nice to actually be able to shoot my gp100 and not feel bad about it or wonder if I will be able to resupply the ammo I shot.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm new to the forum, but have been a reloader for 40+ years.......and most of it was done on single stage presses.....one operation at a time.

I started on shotgun, then on to 38 Spl. & .357 Mag. and now I do mostly 9mm Luger (10-20k per year) and a few .45 ACP's (about 500-1000 per year). I still do a few rifles (30-06 & 30-30) but mostly the 9's.

I seldom load max loads....stick with medium loads for targets & plinking.

In the past I even cast my own bullets for 38, 357 & some 9's, but now I buy most of my bullets (it easier, and I'm lazy & can afford it )

Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #23
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton View Post
This is why I am going with a single stage to start out. Also, I need to make sure this is something I will enjoy doing before I make a large(r) investment. Thats why I have decided on Lee, I know its not the best but it will be a good setup to learn on and in the event this is not for me Im not out hundreds of dollars.

Im going to start loading .357, for me its the logical choice as the ammo is hard to come by and quite pricey at $25+ per 50. I think I can load my own for around $5-6 per 50 since I already have the brass. It will be nice to actually be able to shoot my gp100 and not feel bad about it or wonder if I will be able to resupply the ammo I shot.
There's nothing wrong with a single stage press,but for a little more you can get a turret press and not have to set your dies up every time you want to do a different step.
It takes no time to take the auto-index rod out of the Lee turret press,and then you can do everything 1 stage at a time,but all of your dies are setup in the turret and the only 1 you will ever have to adjust is you seating die for different bullets.
You can also have other calibers setup in extra turret plates if you shoot multiple calipers.Then it only takes seconds to change out turret plates and start reloading a different caliber.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #24
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

There's not much difference in the price of either.I'd get the turret press.

Lee Precision 90050 50th Anniversary Reloading Press Kit

Lee 90928 Deluxe Turret Press 4 Hole W/Auto Index Reload Kit

Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #25

Txhillbilly, that Lee Turret Press you gave the link to...looks impressive and a smart way for a bigginner to save money+time reloading. Is it able to do 12ga. shotgun shells as well with the proper dies?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #26

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you don't want a large upfront investment then the lee clasic cast or turret press kits are the way to go.

I had a hand me down kit for my first one. I started on my dads stuff that has dirt and greese on it older than me. Most all reloading equipment will last a lifetime or two it taken care of.

It took me 30 years to build the set up I have now on my bench.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #27

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
There's not much difference in the price of either.I'd get the turret press
I agree with Hillbilly... I would go with the turret press. It gives you the best of both worlds. Set it up as a single stage for learning the process and loading your hunting ammo then change over to indexing for your pistol loads.

BTW... A single stage isn't bad to have around either. I still have my Rock Chucker set up and still use it for various things.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #28

Thanks for the heads up, after some reading the turret press looks like the way to go. I especially like the idea of a quick swap from caliber to caliber, and yet its still only one step at a time. Its a progressive that I want to stay away from.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #29

Likes Given: 1

I don't know if they are still on sale but Cabela's had the kit for $209. It comes with the Auto disk powder measure, Primer setup, and safety scale. The scale works but it is not as east to read as my RCBS.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I haven't owned any of the Lee presses because of quality issues that I was told about by experienced reloaders when I got started (about 20 years ago).

I started with a used RCBS Rock Chucker, that I still use for rifle & pistol mag loads. About a year later I added a Dillon Square Deal that I use for 44's,
38's, 9mm and 45 Colt. Dillon really has the best no BS warranty I have every seen or heard of: A buddy bought a used one in poor shape, sent it to Dillon to get it checked out and they rebuilt that puppy at no charge.

Reloading can be addicting: I started with my Rock Chucker, then added my
Sq Deal, then two MEC's for 12 ga & 20 ga...... it just goes on! But it's safer than chasing strange women & almost as much fun. YMMV.

You might be best served shopping for a used Rock Chucker, they are inexpensive, built like a tank and should last forever. Most shops that sell reloading equipment also have used gear that they took on trade. If you buy a used scale, GET A WEIGHT SET TO CHECK ACCURACY. An inaccurate scale can ruin your whole day at the least. Come to think of it, get the weight set for any scale, just one more important piece of safety equipment.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Last edited by Thebiker; 05-08-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Additional thought.