Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Which starter kit to get started reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think that took the place of the 4 hole turret that I got. Personally, I went with Lee because I wanted to find out if I liked it. I love it and Rick is right, I've got a pile of 9mm brass but no 9mm....this is a problem and the only reasonable solution is to get a 9mm. When the time comes for me to get a new press I'll be looking at something better but by then I'll have a good supply of powder, bullets, dies, everything else needed and the higher priced press won't have to come with the price of everything else to get started.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started out with the Lee (single stage) Anniversary kit many many moons ago. Good place to start because of the low dollar investment. I have since upgraded but still use pieces from my original set-up. A beginner cannot go wrong with Lee IMHO.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #13

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
+1 to what all rick said...(i feel your pain bro)...nuttin wrong with used eq. i bought a box full (40 or so dies)from a yardsale...of course i had all the same dies except for 32S&Wlong.sold the rest on evilbay(made a killin)...hows that 44 shooting with ya reloads rick1967...here lately i try to stay outta them pawnshops...thats my only gun problem=im broke
That 44 is a kick in the pants! I have been using full power 44 mag and also 44 special. I load the 44 special pressure in the 44 mag cases. That way I don't worry about building up crud in the cylinder. I always clean after each shooting session. But it can build up fast.

A cop friend of mine said he likes to shoot things he can actualy hit something with. I told him that I am fine shooting a "Man's Gun."

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #14

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

i hear that rick....my ruger redhawk 44 will gunk up w/crud (lead,powder)and makes the action hard because of the .004 gap between the cyl. and barrel when shooting close to fullpower loads...im using 245gr. swc no gas checks & heard if you try and push lead over 900fps out of a 44mag your asking for things like that to happen?...my barrel isnt leading to bad inside,its just the front of the cyl.. ...do you use gas checks on your full P loads or jackets?i have some 44spl. brass but havent loaded up any in a while...

Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #15

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
i hear that rick....my ruger redhawk 44 will gunk up w/crud (lead,powder)and makes the action hard because of the .004 gap between the cyl. and barrel when shooting close to fullpower loads...im using 245gr. swc no gas checks & heard if you try and push lead over 900fps out of a 44mag your asking for things like that to happen?...my barrel isnt leading to bad inside,its just the front of the cyl.. ...do you use gas checks on your full P loads or jackets?i have some 44spl. brass but havent loaded up any in a while...
actualy I was talking about the length difference between a 44 special and a 44 mag. Sometimes if you shoot a lot of specials out of a mag. There will be build up in the cylinder. Then you have dificulty getting a full length cartiridge in because of that build up.

I size my bullets to the largest size I can without bulging the case. I have been running loads up to about 1200 fps without any lead buildup in the barrel or cylinder. A lot of people will over crimp a soft lead bullet. That can cause problems too. If you size your bullet too small the gas gets around the end of the bullet and heats it up too much before it leaves the barrel. I have been sizing my 44 mag to .430. That .001 really will make a difference as far as leading the barrel. I do not gas check any pistol bullets. I do with rifles though.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #16
Crazy Azz Redneck

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I was looking at getting started with this Kit. Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press Kit 45 ACP - MidwayUSA
Shihan,Do yourself a big favor,and Don't buy that press. I bought one a couple years ago,and sent it back to Lee 2 days after i got it. The press is OK,but most of the moving parts are plastic and will break easily.
They do not include a set of instructions on how to adjust things on it. They have a video on their website,but at the time I didn't have a computer,so that helped alot! I broke 5-6 parts the first couple pulls of the handle,and even had a primer explode. I was PISSED!

Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 429 Times on 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Shihan,Do yourself a big favor,and Don't buy that press. I bought one a couple years ago,and sent it back to Lee 2 days after i got it. The press is OK,but most of the moving parts are plastic and will break easily.
They do not include a set of instructions on how to adjust things on it. They have a video on their website,but at the time I didn't have a computer,so that helped alot! I broke 5-6 parts the first couple pulls of the handle,and even had a primer explode. I was PISSED!
Well, that is good to know I will save and get something better. I am in no hurry.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Single stage??

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
I too am beginning to research reloading equipment.
One thing that I've been told by the reloaders in my area is to stay
away from single stage equipment. According to them it'll take 10 minutes
from start to finish to complete one single round of ammo. That's a long time if you're wanting to do quantity.

Good topic here, I'll be following along so that
I can see what the pros recommend.
Single stage IS the way to go-starting out! A person needs to get to know their way around a loading press before they go to a progressive press IMO. I started with a RCBS RockChucker and added on down the road a Dillon RL550. I still use them BOTH. Lee products will make good ammo. It just takes more effort to do it. By the way--all of my RCBS+Dillon tools are backed with a NO BS Lifetime Warranty---How about you Lee owners??

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 05-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #19

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

i have never had one problem with any of the LEE products i own..(maybe im just lucky) i think most theyre products are 1 or 2 year warranty...but after using LEE products for a very long time and not needing to use a warranty...to me that says something

Old 05-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
One thing that I've been told by the reloaders in my area is to stay away from single stage equipment. According to them it'll take 10 minutes from start to finish to complete one single round of ammo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
All I use is single stage equipment. It all depends on how deep you want to get into it. I can reload a box of 50 rounds of just about any pistol cartridge in less than 30 minutes.
Well, those are definitely two conflicting opinions.
They must have been exaggerating about taking 10 mins. per round.
They (the reloaders in my area) do say if you don't have much time to relaod (which I don't) that you want equipment that increases speed & performance.
I'm still researching on the subject of reloading so I'm taking it all in.

I'm sure to start, single stage, is ok, but I think my reloading neighbors are trying to tell me if you're going to start you won't stop, unless I sell all my guns- and that's not going to happen. They know me so they don't want me to make their mistakes and have to sell/resell & upgrade equipment. Out here in the backwoods are theory is if you can't make/borrow one buy it once, because you'll never afford to buy it twice. We're mostly ranchers & farmers.