Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Which starter kit to get started reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which starter kit to get started reloading?

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit - MidwayUSA

or

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA

So far as I can tell the only difference in the two is the "anniversary" kit comes with the "safety prime" while the other comes with the "autoprime". The anniversary kit is over $10 cheaper. Any opinions on which is better?

I know there are better options out there but not for $100. The money I save I can put towards components. Then later on down the road I may purchase something better, or I may find the simple Lee stuff to work just fine for my needs.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I started with a Lee 4 hole turret press and so far I'm happy with it. I've used it to load mainly 45ACP but I use it for 38s, 357s and 44 mag. I don't use their powder measuer for my magnum loads though, I measure those individually. Lee isn't the best equipment out there but IMO it will get you started and if you pay attention you can make good ammo.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #3

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Lee is a good place to start. I have the auto prime. I have loaded thousands of rounds with it. Once in a while a primer will get sideways in it. But for the money, it is a good tool. I don't know anything about the safety prime.

I have bought a lot of Lee stuff as well as the more expensive brands. I am not sorry for anything I have ever bought.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

I too am beginning to research reloading equipment.
One thing that I've been told by the reloaders in my area is to stay
away from single stage equipment. According to them it'll take 10 minutes
from start to finish to complete one single round of ammo. That's a long time if you're wanting to do quantity.

Good topic here, I'll be following along so that
I can see what the pros recommend.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 760

when i first bought my lee challenger kit it was 65 bucks and worked great for the 3 years i used it.then went with the 3hole turret(6years & who knows how much reloaded ammo later?)..only thing i didnt like was the scale that came w/kit...biggest POS..(buy digital scale & helps speed up reloading).of course there is better made,and alot more expensive reloading eq. out there...but i have always told myself you do pay for what you get...but when buying lee products...you get more then what ya pay..IMO just make sure you get your hands on and read ALOT! about reloading before you dive right into it....this is of course if you have never done it before....its not rocket science,but will show no mercy if done improperly...just make sure you have all your attention (on reloading) before you try to load that first round

Old 05-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
I too am beginning to research reloading equipment.
One thing that I've been told by the reloaders in my area is to stay
away from single stage equipment. According to them it'll take 10 minutes
from start to finish to complete one single round of ammo. That's a long time if you're wanting to do quantity.

Good topic here, I'll be following along so that
I can see what the pros recommend.
All I use is single stage equipment. I have easily loaded 10,000 rounds of assorted ammo over the last 2 years. I also pour lead to make my own bullets. It all depends on how deep you want to get into it. I can reload a box of 50 rounds of just about any pistol cartridge in less than 30 minutes.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #7

dont know if 150rds.-200rds. an hour is good or not?...but its good enough for me on my single stage presses.(custom made dippers help too)..of course this starts when all cases have been prepped before hand....(cleaned,resized,deprimed,chamfered,primed )maybe trimed if need be....to me a single stage press gives me a little more peice of safety in mind....not saying progressive style presses are not safe! but i dont mind the lil extra time involved w/my single and it didnt cost me a AR-15 to get started in reloading ammo...of course if i was to get a refund on everything i own for reloading....i could buy that armalite ar 50 i want so bad w/1000rds

Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

You have to be careful. Reloading is like an addiction. It starts out with picking up brass you don't shoot. Then you decide you need a new gun to go with all that brass. Pretty soon you get into pouring lead. I have got a crap load of money invested. But a lot of it was 20 bucks at this yard sale, 40 at another one. I started with a 45 colt 3 years ago. I now have 14 hand guns and about 7 or 8 rifles. Guns just seem cheap when you get to shoot them for almost nothing. My taste has changed over the years too. I used to buy $200 guns. Now I am up to $800 +. And it seems like every pawn shop in town has a pusher trying to fuel the addiction. LOL.

I just bought a brand new Smith & Wesson 44 mag to go with some reloading equipment I got at a yard sale for $45. The Smith was just under $800. I've got it bad!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #9

+1 to what all rick said...(i feel your pain bro)...nuttin wrong with used eq. i bought a box full (40 or so dies)from a yardsale...of course i had all the same dies except for 32S&Wlong.sold the rest on evilbay(made a killin)...hows that 44 shooting with ya reloads rick1967...here lately i try to stay outta them pawnshops...thats my only gun problem=im broke

Last edited by m72law; 05-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 432 Times on 232 Posts

I was looking at getting started with this Kit. Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press Kit 45 ACP - MidwayUSA