Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   starline Brass cracking (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/starline-brass-cracking-93137/)

tyler600 06-30-2013 05:47 AM

starline Brass cracking

I was useing starline 44 special brass in my blackhawk an ran into trouble. I shot six rounds and found that one case had cracked l. I loaded two more rounds and had no problem, the we loaded another six rounds fired all six and found another cracked case. I then loaded a round in the chamber that had a cracked caseing and it turned out fine. Has anyone else had problems with this brass or is it my cylinder? Please help!

tyler600 06-30-2013 05:50 AM

I also forgot to mention that it is brand new brass!

JW357 06-30-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler600
I was useing starline 44 special brass in my blackhawk an ran into trouble. I shot six rounds and found that one case had cracked l. I loaded two more rounds and had no problem, the we loaded another six rounds fired all six and found another cracked case. I then loaded a round in the chamber that had a cracked caseing and it turned out fine. Has anyone else had problems with this brass or is it my cylinder? Please help!

Were they maybe loaded too hot for the combination your were using? I've never heard of that in brand new brass.

JW357 06-30-2013 09:05 AM

Also I wonder if its always happening from the same chamber? I don't know, just spit balling.

Axxe55 06-30-2013 10:23 AM

i am using the same brand in 44 Spl. and 44 Mag. so far so good. i don't at the upper range of powder charges, but closer to the middle. but i will look at mine to see if there are any issues with cracking, but i don't think there is.

was it more than one case? and if so, how many? could be just a fluke.

robocop10mm 06-30-2013 01:39 PM

How much flare are you using during loading. You could be overworking the brass by excessively flaring it. Flare just enough to allow the bullet base to insert smoothly,

mseric 06-30-2013 02:38 PM

Where is the case "cracking" splitting? Right at the case mouth or down the side away from the mouth?

Generally Starline is good brass, some say the best. I would give them a call and inform them of your "new" brass splitting after one firing.

tyler600 06-30-2013 02:50 PM

Its splitting down the side and we are thinking a chamber issue but we loaded that same chamber to find no problem. These rounds are not hot at all more on the lower end.

rockratt 06-30-2013 02:52 PM

I use Starline all the time in 45 acp and 44 mag and the only issues have been after several firings and too much powder. I would hold up until I took a look at my procedure and recipe and figured out what is wrong. Most modern handguns can with stand a split case from time to time but I wouldn't keep doing it.

tyler600 06-30-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1291008)
i am using the same brand in 44 Spl. and 44 Mag. so far so good. i don't at the upper range of powder charges, but closer to the middle. but i will look at mine to see if there are any issues with cracking, but i don't think there is.

was it more than one case? and if so, how many? could be just a fluke.

We had two cases split. Both times I loaded all six chambers. But then I loaded a round in the same chamber that we found the second split case in and the brass held up fine so that's what made me think that its the brass.