Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Spent brass casings (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/spent-brass-casings-32288/)

winds-of-change 09-27-2010 03:35 PM

Spent brass casings

I've been collecting the brass when I go shooting. I don't reload and I don't know what to do with it but I just don't want to throw it away. I don't know if it is of any monetary value as a recycle. Do any of you who reload want it? I will send it to someone who wants it for just the cost of shipping. What do all of you do with your spent casings?

spittinfire 09-27-2010 03:54 PM

I will take any 45, 38, 357, 44, 30-06 and 223 you are willing to part with. Maybe some others as well. What all do you have?

robocop10mm 09-27-2010 04:05 PM

Save it or trade it. You may start reloading some day and it will be valuable at that point. Find someone who does load and trade it for something you need. In a pinch, some metal recyclers accept cartrridge brass. I get $1.20 or so/lb. I trade unneeded brass to my recycler for lead so I can cast more bullets.

I'm sure there would be a member of two that would be glad to reimburse you for shipping costs on brass. USPS flat rate boxes are a great way to go.

winds-of-change 09-27-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 358288)
I will take any 45, 38, 357, 44, 30-06 and 223 you are willing to part with. Maybe some others as well. What all do you have?

Well, I have mostly .38 and .357 as that is what I shoot out of my Ruger but when I was alone at the range once I reduced myself to digging through the garbage and got some Winchester .357 mag, Winchester .40 S&W, FC 9 mm Luger, Blazer .45 Auto, Fiocchio USA.45 ACP. I'm just reading what's at the end of the casing. I have about 3/4 ziploc quart back of the mixed brass and I also have about 1/2 quart ziploc bag of RP .38 SPL. I've shot .357 mag from my gun but I've been buying that cheap Blazer ammo with the aluminum casing. I don't really like using it because when I fire .357 out of my revolver, it is sometimes hard to eject the cartridges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 358298)
Save it or trade it. You may start reloading some day and it will be valuable at that point. Find someone who does load and trade it for something you need. In a pinch, some metal recyclers accept cartrridge brass. I get $1.20 or so/lb. I trade unneeded brass to my recycler for lead so I can cast more bullets.

I'm sure there would be a member of two that would be glad to reimburse you for shipping costs on brass. USPS flat rate boxes are a great way to go.

I don't foresee myself reloading in the near future. If and when I do decide to reload, I will start keeping my brass then. Trading it for something I need and cost of shipping is a good idea. I would think that flat rate boxes are the way to go because these things are HEAVY. Is it legal/possible to trade a bunch of brass for a box of live ammo?

spittinfire 09-27-2010 04:53 PM

If you don't want it I would be happy to pay shipping or trade you. I've been going thru 357 brass lately so much I can't keep up.

Highpower 09-27-2010 05:02 PM

Spitty, what are you shootin the -06 in?

spittinfire 09-27-2010 05:10 PM

I don't get to play with it as much as I would like but I've been trying 150gr SSTs and 150gr Partitions. I've been happy with both but the partitions are twice the cost with no seen benefit in accuracy. Both are would be whitetail loads.

Gatekeeper 09-27-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 358288)

I thought I told you I was working this corner, Spittyhttp://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...y/pimpslap.gif Hands off my brass!

J/k Lolhttp://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h.../laughing1.gif

I've bought alot of brass online lately Winds-of-change. Flat rate boxes are the way to go if you got some quantity, I've purchased up to 20# of 45auto at one time and that pretty much fills up a large flat rate box (1450 45Auto Cases).
A full gallon size ziploc generally will hold around 10# of brass from my experience and fits well in a medium flat rate IIRC.
So if you have a smaller amount of brass, standard USPS shipping may be cheaper than than Flat Rate

winds-of-change 09-27-2010 05:38 PM

Maybe we could wait a while until I gather up more brass and make it worth the shipping. I'm not really ready to ship yet as I don't have a lot. I was just wondering what to do with it. It's good to know it will get used. Would anyone trade me something AND pay for shipping or would that be too greedy?

spittinfire 09-27-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 358401)
Maybe we could wait a while until I gather up more brass and make it worth the shipping. I'm not really ready to ship yet as I don't have a lot. I was just wondering what to do with it. It's good to know it will get used. Would anyone trade me something AND pay for shipping or would that be too greedy?

I would if enough brass is involved. I'm not trying to screw you but like you said, I don't want to ship just a few pieces.