Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Speer 223 Brass for swap (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/speer-223-brass-swap-31045/)

Dzscubie 08-29-2010 04:02 AM

Speer 223 Brass for swap
 
Well,

I spent the day separating brass, tumbling and all that good stuff to get a bunch of 223 ready for reloading. Well, low and behold I found that about 200 (190 actually) rounds of once fired Speer brass has crimped primers. I don't have a pocket swagger so I have this brass, lubed, de-primed and re-sized ready to be swapped. Now I'm a little short on 38 brass for my cowboy action shooting so if anyone has some 38 that would like to swap for this 223 I would be really happy. If no one has any 38 but would still like the 223 let me know and I'll send it to you.

Thanks,

Scubie

Gatekeeper 08-29-2010 04:26 AM

Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Tool Small - MidwayUSA
about $10
I just chuck the cutter in a cordless drill, about 2-3 seconds per case and you're done.:cool:

Dzscubie 08-29-2010 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 340468)
Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer Tool Small - MidwayUSA
about $10
I just chuck the cutter in a cordless drill, about 2-3 seconds per case and you're done.:cool:


Thank you Gate, but I can get 223 brass monthly so I really don't need (or want) to take the extra time to ream primer pockets. Basically I'm lazy. :D

TXnorton 08-29-2010 09:49 AM

Scubie:

I do not ream primer pockets, but I do put a small taper on the leading edge of the pockets to remove the military crimp and to facilitate re-priming. Years ago I bought a second case chamfering tool and ground off the "wings" for chamfering the outside of the case mouths. I chuck that in my cordless drill and then lightly ream the primer pockets to put a slight bevel on the leading edge.

You can do this by hand with your case chamfering tool as well, it just takes a few more minutes.

My electric RCBS Case Prep Center also has a station for bevelling the leading edge of the primer pocket, but I find it faster to do it with my home made tool and drill motor.

Gatekeeper 08-29-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzscubie (Post 340514)
Thank you Gate, but I can get 223 brass monthly so I really don't need (or want) to take the extra time to ream primer pockets. Basically I'm lazy. :D

In that case................

Send me your tired your poor,
your humble once-fires, yearning to be free :D

lonyaeger 08-29-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzscubie (Post 340452)
Well, low and behold I found that about 200 (190 actually) rounds of once fired Speer brass has crimped primers.

Question: why do they do that?

Dzscubie 08-29-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 340569)
In that case................

Send me your tired your poor,
your humble once-fires, yearning to be free :D


You want it you got it amigo :D

M14sRock 08-29-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 340586)
Question: why do they do that?

To keep primers from possibly backing out during firing.

Gatekeeper 08-29-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzscubie (Post 340587)
You want it you got it amigo :D

And as luck would have it, I stopped by a local shop on the way home from this mornings uspsa match and there was a bag of 1000 38spl once fires with my name on it. Okay I wrote my name on it after I bought it :D

How many you need brah?

Dzscubie 08-29-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 340719)
And as luck would have it, I stopped by a local shop on the way home from this mornings uspsa match and there was a bag of 1000 38spl once fires with my name on it. Okay I wrote my name on it after I bought it :D

How many you need brah?


Hey how about one for one but if that's not fair I'll take one for two? Thanks Gate I owe you one. :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.