Specialty & AP pistol ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Specialty & AP pistol ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Specialty & AP pistol ammo

I'm new to this forum (posted a few times last year), and I've recently joined a bunch of forums in my effort to reach out to anyone who is interested in what I am interested in: special-purpose gadgety pistol ammo. The weird stuff with odd tips; exploders, multiball, darts, cutters, slicer, dicers, expanders, plastics & teflon. I have an extensive history in collecting & researching and a large collection. I'm with the International Ammunition Association (IAA), and I have written a book on the topic of pistol-caliber armor piercing ammo which is my main point of collecting. Below are pics of the stuff I collect; a reference sheet I made for pistol-caliber AP ammo, a box of mixed caliber specialty ammo, and a box of 9mm specialty ammo. Please ask questions or let me know if you are interested in collecting this stuff as well.

KTW Teflon, American Ballistics, National Cartridge, Alia armor piercing, Omnishock, Geco Metal piercing, Remingotn Hi-way master, Peters Highway patrol, SIB armor piercing, Arcane 9mm, VBR ammo, SCMITR, GEA Cyclone, 7.62x25 API, ALPHA 9mm, CBAP 9mm, ANSB, Libra Snail, M39/B, 6.5x25 CBJ, PPS MSC, 224 VOB, 223 timbs, Magsafe, Beehive, armscor strike 3, equalloy, hydrashok, village metalworks safe stop, multiball, kawser pingrabber, kawser pin grabber, velet exploder, velex exploder, FXlabs, D&D omega star, Thunderzap, BBM hardcap, cobra gun HSA, Hirtenberger EMB, DAG Action-3, simunition, Aguila IQ, Triton quick shok, Hi Vel Hypersonic, Mesko Hornet, Mesko Mosquito, Mesko Wasp, XM261, KTW 22 pokey, etc...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting. I didn't realize all those types of ammo was still legal.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #3

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

That is cool, wish I had that collection for show. Thanks for bringing this to the board.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #4

I thought armor piercing ammo was not legal. AM I wrong?

patret

Old 09-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Nice collection- I only have a few of those- and I think I recognize a subsonic subcaliber round for an AT-4 in there- hard to find those.

Legal? Feds regulate importing and manufacturing AP handgun ammo, and sales by importers and manufacturers- not possession. From 18 USC 921 (a)-

" It shall be illegal.........

(7) for any person to manufacture or import armor piercing
ammunition, unless -
(A) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the use of the
United States, any department or agency of the United States,
any State, or any department, agency, or political subdivision
of a State;
(B) the manufacture of such ammunition is for the purpose of
exportation; or
(C) the manufacture or importation of such ammunition is for
the purpose of testing or experimentation and has been
authorized by the Attorney General;
(8) for any manufacturer or importer to sell or deliver armor
piercing ammunition, unless such sale or delivery -
(A) is for the use of the United States, any department or
agency of the United States, any State, or any department,
agency, or political subdivision of a State;
(B) is for the purpose of exportation; or
(C) is for the purpose of testing or experimentation and has
been authorized by the Attorney General; (!1)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Welcome aboard! Thanks for the great post and cool pics.

I recently found an old box of my "oddball ammo". Geco BAT rds in 9x19, .25 MSC, some of the old Devel .45 with the primers in the cavity, a box of the .45ACP copper with the black plastic inserts (like the MSC), etc. Seeing yours makes me want to dig them out for display.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #7

Default pistol AP ammo laws

For the full run down on pistol A ammo laws, the easiest thing I can do is direct you to my lengthy explanation that I gave to another guy here: Specialty & AP pistol cartridges - THR (post #14). There are a few specific state laws, bans in CA, TX, IL, and wash D.C. and near bans in KY, and NJ. FL & RI have bans on truncated pistol AP ammo only, while other states have bans on Teflon coated ammo only (just KTW ammo). A couple states have bans on exploder ammo, but otherwise all that oddball ammo is legal.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #8

Man, you have some weird looking stuff in that box.