Some reloading manual help please!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Some reloading manual help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default Some reloading manual help please!

Here's the deal: I just bought the Lyman 49th edition reloading manual, and so far I like it. I'm thinking about making it my"go to" manual. There is just one problem. I load mil-spec weights in my .223s ( 54 grain and 62 grain) but the manual doesn't have data for those weights but it does have data for 55 and 63 grain bullets. Am I OK to substitute mil spec weight for a bullet that weighs 1 grain more, or am I asking for it? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I used to think that the Lyman 49th was a good book. Problem is as you get into it more you realize that several very common bullets are missing. As an example, go look for data on a 9mm 115gr round nose bullet.

The Hornady book groups bullets that are within a couple grains. I would recommend starting on the low end of the data and working up.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks
I used to think that the Lyman 49th was a good book. Problem is as you get into it more you realize that several very common bullets are missing. As an example, go look for data on a 9mm 115gr round nose bullet.

The Hornady book groups bullets that are within a couple grains. I would recommend starting on the low end of the data and working up.
Thanks, you are right, it is a little lacking, but I still might use it. Nothing on 155 grain RNs, but it does have data for 115 grain hollow points.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #4

Could I use the hollow point data for round nose bullets?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

The OAL won't be right. The RN bullets would be seated too deep at the HP OAL. As long as your not loading to max the powder weight would be good. But you'd have to find another OAL to use.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 732 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Never rely on a single manual or a Go-to-Manual. Gather as much data as you can from as many tested sources as you can. Don't forget to check out all the Powder manufactures free printed and on-line data.

Yes, it is perfectly safe and acceptable to use data of same weight bullet of similar construction from different manufactures. If you cannot find the same weight, move up to the next highest.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #7

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

If the bullet designs are the same, for example both are FMJ, I would be willing to use the recommended powder weight for the heavier bullet with the lighter one. But never the other way around. So if the book says it is for a 55 grain bullet but you have a 52 grain bullet...ok. Just dont do it the other way around.

But do not use recipes for diferent types of bullets. If you are using a hollow point, get a recipe for a hollow point. Even if you have to go with the powder for a heavier bullet.

But always read the warning on the powder can. Some powders can not be safely reduced.

For 223 I like BL-C(2). You can reduce it. Some others are totally unsafe to do so.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5695 Times on 3219 Posts
Likes Given: 5099

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
Thanks, you are right, it is a little lacking, but I still might use it. Nothing on 155 grain RNs, but it does have data for 115 grain hollow points.
You can use JHP data for RN. Same bullet weight, same basic data. Minor variation in seating depth is easy to compensate for. Just use a factory round to set your seating die, or use a comparator fopr measuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
Could I use the hollow point data for round nose bullets?
Absolutely.

Minor variations is why we work up a load stratring low and slowly going up.

An easy method for compensating for variations in bullet lengths is to make up dummy rounds for all of your loads, and use them to set your seating stem.

Winston Churchill
beaglesam Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #9

Thanks guys!