So maybe I can get some help... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > So maybe I can get some help...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Which would you rather take in the right shoulder?

.45 ACP 230 gr ball with 810 ft/s muzzle velocity, or.....

.223 Remington 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip 3,240 ft/s?

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Which would you rather take in the right shoulder?

.45 ACP 230 gr ball with 810 ft/s muzzle velocity, or.....

.223 Remington 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip 3,240 ft/s?
First of all, I'd rather take neither as I would assume being shot is a painful experience

Second, I should have asked but forgot, what does it mean when it's a "ball" ammo? And what does ballistic tip mean?

Also, is there a page or something where I can read the standard grains of each ammo type? Like what's the average grain for a 9mm, a .45 acp, a .44mag, etc.
__________________
slip is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TXnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy,Texas
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Which would you rather take in the right shoulder?

.45 ACP 230 gr ball with 810 ft/s muzzle velocity, or.....

.223 Remington 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip 3,240 ft/s?
No thank you.

I think that with the .45 ACP, you would be referring to what used to be your shoulder. The remnants of which may be laying by your feet with what used to be your right arm.

With the .223 ballistic tip, I am not so sure. My .30-06 ballistic tips seldom make a single (if any) exit wound on deer sized game.
__________________

TXnorton

TXnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TXnorton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy,Texas
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
And what does ballistic tip mean?

Also, is there a page or something where I can read the standard grains of each ammo type? Like what's the average grain for a 9mm, a .45 acp, a .44mag, etc.
Ballistic Tip bullets have a hard plastic tip at nose of the bullet. Google Nosler.

Average??? Typical 9mm = 115 gr, .45ACP = 230 gr, .44 mag = 240 gr. But there are MANY options.

Goggle any or all of the ammunition manufacturers (Remington, Winchester, Federal, etc.) and browse through all of their products for any given caliber. They will also usually have some information on applications and design of their different bullets.
__________________

TXnorton

TXnorton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,923
Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Which would you rather take in the right shoulder?

.45 ACP 230 gr ball with 810 ft/s muzzle velocity, or.....

.223 Remington 55 gr Nosler ballistic tip 3,240 ft/s?
you are compairing a rifle to a pistol.

a better comparison would be a .308 with 168grn FMJBT with a .223 55grn FMJBT.

if your compairing pistol rounds then a good comparison would be the 230 grn FMJ with a 9mm+p FMJ.

the main difference being the weight and speed. as for bullet design you can get big heavy bullets with the same sort of design as smaller faster bullets.
__________________
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RCHanlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 193
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you are compairing a rifle to a pistol.

a better comparison would be a .308 with 168grn FMJBT with a .223 55grn FMJBT.

if your compairing pistol rounds then a good comparison would be the 230 grn FMJ with a 9mm+p FMJ.

the main difference being the weight and speed. as for bullet design you can get big heavy bullets with the same sort of design as smaller faster bullets.

Jon I really think he meant to ask that question in that way. How you would fair from either was the direction I think he was headed with that. If I'm not mistaken, and I most likely am, you would probably fair better from the 45 slug then the 223 round. The 223 is going to hit and tumble through your body ripping it to shreds.
__________________
RCHanlin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes