Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   small rifle primers for pistol ammunition? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/small-rifle-primers-pistol-ammunition-21194/)

tiberius10721 12-17-2009 02:58 AM

small rifle primers for pistol ammunition?

I have been reloading for 7 yrs now but my knowledge is limited to pistol ammunition only since that is all I reload. I have noticed that midway usa has plenty of small rifle primers for sale and Im just wondering if i can substitute small rifle primers for small pistol primers.

robocop10mm 12-17-2009 03:22 AM

They fit, BUT they are diferent. Hotter and thicker. You must have a gun with sufficient mainspring tension or striker tension. You must reduce the powder charge and work up a new load.

tiberius10721 12-17-2009 03:30 AM

thanks robo cop! good information! If i ever do try it ill just reload a few rounds to see if there is enough mainspring striker tension in my handgun to work. I still have a few thousand small pistol primers so hopefully ill never have to make this substitution.

robocop10mm 12-17-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossfire (Post 200621)
BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS! Rifle primers are taller than pistol primers and will not seat flush with the case. This makes them susceptable to accidental discharge if they are struck or the cartridge is dropped on a hard surface. I wouldn't do it.

Negative. Don't spout incorrect information!

LARGE rifle primers are dimensionally different than large pistol primers. NEVER try to use large rifle primers for pistol loads.

Small rifle primers (as the OP was referring to) are dimensionally the same as small pistol primers. You CAN use small rifle primers for pistol loads, but you MUST rework your load. NEVER use small pistol primers (even Magnum) for rifle loads.

crossfire 12-17-2009 10:06 PM

You are absolutely correct. I misread the original post. My apologies.

jpattersonnh 12-17-2009 10:46 PM

Wow, I posted and agreed w/ crossfire that this is not a safe practice. But now my post and the one Robo quoted from crossfire have gone somewhere! :confused: Do we need tin foil hats here?
Anyone can do as they please w/ their firearms, faces, hands, but I would never advocate this type of action. Not to mention the legal ramifications if the OP gets hurt. Bad Juju.

BILLYBOB44 12-18-2009 02:07 PM

Each to his own..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 200873)
Wow, I posted and agreed w/ crossfire that this is not a safe practice. But now my post and the one Robo quoted from crossfire have gone somewhere! :confused: Do we need tin foil hats here?
Anyone can do as they please w/ their firearms, faces, hands, but I would never advocate this type of action. Not to mention the legal ramifications if the OP gets hurt. Bad Juju.

jpatterson, ALL+ANY info. from any member carries a disclaimer to usage. I do not know your experience, or knowledge in regard to hand loading, but any one who suggests that using a Small Rifle primer in place of a Small Pistol primer, along with backing down the powder charge and working up the load, will damage a firearm or shooters body, simply does NOT know what they are talking about. True-NOT recommended, but it would sure GREAT if the supply/cost of primers were what they were 2 or 3 years ago??:confused: With your thinking in mind-no custom/wildcat loads could ever have been created??:p