small primer in large cases - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > small primer in large cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The Speer RHT lead free non-toxic ammo in .45 ACP uses small primers. Speer (Federal/CCI) do not make large lead free primers. Streamlines the process. They load fine, shoot fine. I segregate mine and save them for when I have easier access to small primers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #12
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Small VS. Large Primers in .45 ACP Cases.

I work for a company that recycles once fires brass. The small primers in the .45 ACP brass are used in all Non-Toxic rounds. From what I have been able to assertain, the most toxic part of any round being discharged is the residue from the primer. In order to comply with the Non-Toxic standards, a new explosive for primers had to be developed that was Non-Toxic. This was too hot for the large primers, hence the new small primers. Now the bullet, powder and primer are all Non-Toxic. We have to sort through all of our .45 ACP brass and segregate all of the small primers from the large, before we process it for sale.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #13

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68
I work for a company that recycles once fires brass. The small primers in the .45 ACP brass are used in all Non-Toxic rounds. From what I have been able to assertain, the most toxic part of any round being discharged is the residue from the primer. In order to comply with the Non-Toxic standards, a new explosive for primers had to be developed that was Non-Toxic. This was too hot for the large primers, hence the new small primers. Now the bullet, powder and primer are all Non-Toxic. We have to sort through all of our .45 ACP brass and segregate all of the small primers from the large, before we process it for sale.
I'll be honest that does not sound like a fun job I was ready to quit with a batch of 200 or so.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 05-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

They are used for the "Non Toxic" line of ammo for indoor range shooting. Fed, Win, Speer, and another company that I can't remember off the top of my head load smalls in ACP's. HATE it! Throws off my timing when I am loading....my best is 1000 45 ACP's in 40 minutes on an RL1050! Save them and reload them with small primers. You have to swage the primer pockets as they are crimped in like military ammo.

There are no accidents, there is only ignorance, mechanical failure, or "ACTS OF GOD"! I load 3000-5000 rounds a day, 6 days a week!