Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Small pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Small pistol

I have been shooting a bit more .357 mag recently, but I just ran out of small pistol magnum primers, and have a ton of small pistol. I have been told that you can use a magnum primer in lieu of SP but just reduce the powder charge, can the same be said the other way round but increase the amount of powder?

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I would be careful doing that.

Load 1 with the load you go with but use a regular pistol primer see what happens.

Look I am not liable for any thing that happens to you or anyone else around or equipment or anything.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #3

Disclaimer noted.

What I was told by one of the guys at the range when I bought SP mag on accident when I first started loading was it would be ok to use in a normal .38 SPC load if I dump off between .1 and .2 gr. I did that until I started shooting .357 mag.

I will try it out the other way round and let you guys know how it went. But I will be light loading them a little bit. Unless I hear different.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have always used (regular) small pistol primers for my .357 Magnum loads. I generally load close to, but a bit under, the published maximum powder loads. It has never been a problem.

TXnorton

Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

It depends on the powder you are using and to a lesser degree, the loading. For proper ignition, some powders NEED a mag primer (H110, W-296 perhaps 4227). Many perfectly useable powders like Blue Dot and Unique will do just fine with a standard primer.

The one area to be careful is with max or near max loads. It is possible the thinner cups on the std primers may give way on a really hot load.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Disclaimer NOTED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Disclaimer noted.

What I was told by one of the guys at the range when I bought SP mag on accident when I first started loading was it would be ok to use in a normal .38 SPC load if I dump off between .1 and .2 gr. I did that until I started shooting .357 mag.

I will try it out the other way round and let you guys know how it went. But I will be light loading them a little bit. Unless I hear different.
With the shortage of Small Pistol, I have loaded several loads with Small RIFLE primers(REM. 6 1/2) with success. Not to tell you to do that, but it works for me. I have loaded-9MM,.38Spl.,.357Mag.,and .40 S&W with Small RIFLE primers, with no noticeable difference. Back off your powder a little.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #7

Ok thanks much. Ive been using Win 231 for .45ACP .38 SPC and .357 mag.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #8

Lee's book recommends not using magnum primers.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter View Post
Lee's book recommends not using magnum primers.
Lee's book recommends not using mag primers on mag loads?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Magnum primers are less consistent. The same load with mag and standard primers will show a wider spread of velocity with the mag primers.
I only use mag primers for true mag loads with powders that insist on the hotter ignition. 231 in .357 mag, Max load. standard primer.

You can sub in small rifle primers, but they are no easier to find. Small rifle primers are very comparable to mag primers with regard to cup thickness and flame temp BUT that does not mean you can sub small pistol mag primers for small rifle primers in rifle loads. The cup thickness is "comparable" not the same.

A lot of IPSC Open class shooters use samll rifle primers for major power factor .38 super loads (and .38 TJ, .38 super comp, 9X21, 9X23, .356TSW, .355 super, etc) They are pushing pressures way beyond the SAAMI specs for the super.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball