Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Small pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/small-pistol-20875/)

Shooter girl 12-08-2009 05:53 PM

Small pistol

I have been shooting a bit more .357 mag recently, but I just ran out of small pistol magnum primers, and have a ton of small pistol. I have been told that you can use a magnum primer in lieu of SP but just reduce the powder charge, can the same be said the other way round but increase the amount of powder?

cpttango30 12-08-2009 06:47 PM

I would be careful doing that.

Load 1 with the load you go with but use a regular pistol primer see what happens.

Look I am not liable for any thing that happens to you or anyone else around or equipment or anything.

Shooter girl 12-08-2009 06:56 PM

Disclaimer noted.

What I was told by one of the guys at the range when I bought SP mag on accident when I first started loading was it would be ok to use in a normal .38 SPC load if I dump off between .1 and .2 gr. I did that until I started shooting .357 mag.

I will try it out the other way round and let you guys know how it went. But I will be light loading them a little bit. Unless I hear different.

TXnorton 12-08-2009 07:20 PM

I have always used (regular) small pistol primers for my .357 Magnum loads. I generally load close to, but a bit under, the published maximum powder loads. It has never been a problem.

robocop10mm 12-08-2009 07:38 PM

It depends on the powder you are using and to a lesser degree, the loading. For proper ignition, some powders NEED a mag primer (H110, W-296 perhaps 4227). Many perfectly useable powders like Blue Dot and Unique will do just fine with a standard primer.

The one area to be careful is with max or near max loads. It is possible the thinner cups on the std primers may give way on a really hot load.

BILLYBOB44 12-08-2009 08:00 PM

Disclaimer NOTED!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shooter girl (Post 196229)
Disclaimer noted.

What I was told by one of the guys at the range when I bought SP mag on accident when I first started loading was it would be ok to use in a normal .38 SPC load if I dump off between .1 and .2 gr. I did that until I started shooting .357 mag.

I will try it out the other way round and let you guys know how it went. But I will be light loading them a little bit. Unless I hear different.

With the shortage of Small Pistol, I have loaded several loads with Small RIFLE primers(REM. 6 1/2) with success. Not to tell you to do that, but it works for me. I have loaded-9MM,.38Spl.,.357Mag.,and .40 S&W with Small RIFLE primers, with no noticeable difference. Back off your powder a little.:)

Shooter girl 12-08-2009 08:05 PM

Ok thanks much. Ive been using Win 231 for .45ACP .38 SPC and .357 mag.

Bigcat_hunter 12-09-2009 12:02 AM

Lee's book recommends not using magnum primers.

Shooter girl 12-09-2009 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter (Post 196440)
Lee's book recommends not using magnum primers.

Lee's book recommends not using mag primers on mag loads?

robocop10mm 12-09-2009 02:00 AM

Magnum primers are less consistent. The same load with mag and standard primers will show a wider spread of velocity with the mag primers.
I only use mag primers for true mag loads with powders that insist on the hotter ignition. 231 in .357 mag, Max load. standard primer.

You can sub in small rifle primers, but they are no easier to find. Small rifle primers are very comparable to mag primers with regard to cup thickness and flame temp BUT that does not mean you can sub small pistol mag primers for small rifle primers in rifle loads. The cup thickness is "comparable" not the same.

A lot of IPSC Open class shooters use samll rifle primers for major power factor .38 super loads (and .38 TJ, .38 super comp, 9X21, 9X23, .356TSW, .355 super, etc) They are pushing pressures way beyond the SAAMI specs for the super.