Small dents in brass from re-manufact. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Small dents in brass from re-manufact.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Video: http://youtu.be/Pk71_PE-L3o

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/DV5DC

Thanks!

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 383

The one on the left should be ok.
On the right, I'd toss it. I don't know what sort of incident caused that, but it looks a bit severe for my tastes.

You might wish to send an e-mail to the manufacturer of the ammo with these pics. They may not know how bad their QC is.
Note:
Weibelhaus- I hope you don't mind me linking you pic into my post. If you don't like it, let me know & I'll be happy to remove it. Just trying to make it easier for everyone.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 06-10-2012 at 05:28 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post

The one on the left should be ok.
On the right, I'd toss it. I don't know what sort of incident caused that, but it looks a bit severe for my tastes.
Note:
Weibelhaus- I hope you don't mind me linking you pic into my post. If you don't like it, let me know & I'll be happy to remove it. Just trying to make it easier for everyone.
No way, it's all good buddy, thanks for the advice. So the one on the left should be a baseline? anything worse than that toss it?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
No way, it's all good buddy, thanks for the advice. So the one on the left should be a baseline? anything worse than that toss it?
Pretty much... yes, but it's a judgement call. My opinion is going to be different that others. Some would tell you to toss them both. Others might fire the one on the right just to see what happens.
The one on the right looks extremely iffy simply because the edge of the dent sharpens up near the case head and it could be weakened enough to cause a separation.
The one on the left is unlikely to have any noticeable problem at all. In fact firing it will probably fix the problem unless it's a very light load.
You kind of have to look at the worst case scenario and use your best judgment. If in doubt, toss it.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 06-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #15

Thanks overkill.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

The one on the left will look perfectly fine after shooting. The dent will iron out from the pressure. The one on the right is more extreme. The brass has been stressed by the severe dent. It MAY be fine in a low pressure application like a .38 Spl, but it is not worth the risk. It may give way under the stress. I would definately contact the loader and let them know about the QC issue.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6013 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Those arent lube dents. Something else is going on in their machines or some already dented brass got in. Lube dents usually show up on the shoulders of bottleneck cases.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #18

Man I'm sending this stuff back, first box of 50 and multiple squib loads, failures to fire, odd sounding bangs, I had to call it off after between 25-50 rounds, stuff is dangerous, I called the company on the way back and they said they would refund my money and pull the lott number. Tech on site said he would pull me off lane if I hadn't made the call myself, he checked the firearm barrel and said everything looks good, thing is, the first squib my wife who's a nurse and has only shot a few times, the first one happened to her (that scares me). Just a bad day at the range, we've all had them.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 06-12-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #19

Additive:

I fired a cylinder full on that ruger that she likes to shoot because of the new ammo and it fired off good, so she started loading her speed loaders and I started to load my 9mm clips and a shotgun I borrowed from a buddy when I heard that weird *poof* and she was just about to pull again and I said "WHOA WHOA WHOA" and she goes "wha? What was that?", that one came out easy, so I fired a cylinder and one failed to fire, the primer was struck, WTF. ok, this isn't going well, so I loaded her next speed loader and ANOTHER failure, so I went through the box and picked out shady ones being very critical and then the second shot was a *poof*. I've never seen one of these before, the other folks there said it's very rare and so...ok, this is not coincidental. But the other ammo, Federal and Winchesters in 9mm,45 and a 12g shott all performed flawlessly, my wife was bummed because she only likes the Ruger revolvers.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 06-12-2012 at 06:18 AM.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"Just a bad day at the range, we've all had them. "

I haven't. Been reloading since '65, doubt I've fired more than a few hundred factory rounds, total, in that time and no re-manufactored stuff at all. That's a lot of handloaded rounds and I've had maybe ten failures to fire due to defective primers but never a squib or over charge. What I'm suggesting is you hand load yourself and then you will KNOW what you're shootin'.

Even so, both of your cartridges are safe so far as the dents go, they will blow out easily. It appears they are stepped on 'pick-ups' from a gravel range.