Sm. rifle magnum vs. standard primer

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Sm. rifle magnum vs. standard primer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Sm. rifle magnum vs. standard primer

Does powder load vary if using magnum vs a standard primer? Ex: reloading .223, using Varget, 55gr FMJ, small rifle magnum primer. How many grains powder would a safe load be for 3000fps+ or what a typical average loadis. Does 27.0grains of powder sound right for a safe load?
Thanks for replies

Enjoy the shooting sports.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

i use magnum primers almost exclusively. just start somewhere in the middle and work up. just like any other round. dont ever exceed max or minimum charge weights. magnum primers work great in the cold on difficult to ignite powders. they really dont add much if anything to the pressure curve.

to get true velocity info you need a chronograph. what the loading manuals say is just guess work as they take averages based off one test gun. your individual barrel type of rifling case used exact bullet temperature barrel length gas system if any all play a role in velocity

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default sm. rifle mag primers vs. standard

JonM, I know if you suggest it that I can bank on it. Thank you, I've always liked/appreciated your responses.
I'll do just that with those primers, I fortunately picked up a sweet deal Dec. 18th. on them. that's the day when all heck broke out on the online auctions for AR's and the items for it, like collasible stocks and 30rd mags

Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

just start with moderate loadings and work up in small increments.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Yes. Hotter primers WILL make a change in pressures/ velocities. Magnum primers have a smidge of powdered aluminum, hotter flame. As the man said, strt low, work up gradually.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

paul Likes This 
Old 12-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6572 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 6214

The Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primer is MilSpec, and it's a magnum primer. I use them exclusively in 5.56X45.

CCI makes a MilSpec primer as well. Also a magnum.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

paul Likes This