Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Sm. Pistol vs. sm. Rifle Primers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/sm-pistol-vs-sm-rifle-primers-74985/)

paul 10-24-2012 11:55 PM

Sm. Pistol vs. sm. Rifle Primers

I realize this may have been answered before. Can the small pistol primers be used in lieu of small rifle primers when reloading rifle rounds? Specifically .223. I have an abundance of the small pistol that I need to use and so I'm looking for other acceptable shells to use them on.

beaglesam 10-25-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 988615)
I realize this may have been answered before. Can the small pistol primers be used in lieu of small rifle primers when reloading rifle rounds? Specifically .223. I have an abundance of the small pistol that I need to use and so I'm looking for other acceptable shells to use them on.

Send them to me.:D

JonM 10-25-2012 12:56 AM

i wouldnt use pistol primers in a semi-auto rifle config. slam fires are very likely due to the weaker primer cup. some competition folks go the other way tho.

tri70 10-25-2012 01:02 AM

I have used them both ways with no problems.

paul 10-25-2012 01:08 AM

sm pistol primers vs. small rifle primers

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaglesam (Post 988663)
Send them to me.:D

Why would I do that?:confused:

tri70 10-25-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 988701)
Why would I do that?:confused:

Lol! He has a use for small pistol primers, more reloading!

paul 10-25-2012 10:41 AM

small pistol primers vs. small rifle primers

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri70 (Post 988736)
Lol! He has a use for small pistol primers, more reloading!

OKAY, but that has nothing to do with my question about primers.
Thanks for the hilarious replies.

paul 10-25-2012 10:46 AM

small pistol vs rifle primers

Quote:

Originally Posted by tri70 (Post 988687)
I have used them both ways with no problems.

I appreciate the helpful reply. I'll put your practical experience to good use.
Thank you.

robocop10mm 10-26-2012 12:09 AM

Small pistol primers are less "hot" than small rifle primers.
Small pistol primers are thinner and more "sensitive" than small rifle primers

Using small pistol primers in a rifle can result in slam fires, weak ignition, pierced primers and is venerally considered unsafe in most applications

Using small rifle primers in a pistol can result in light indent misfires and increased pressure due to the "hotter" flame.

If my mainspring/striker spring was sufficiently strong I would consider the small rifle primers in the pistol. I would reduce the powder charge a bit and work up a new load.

It would have to be an extreme circumstance to make me consider using small pistol primers in a rifle.

paul 10-26-2012 12:37 AM

sm pistol vs. small rifle primers

Thanks Robocop 10mm. I was considering the primer change in the interest of using some material not used often now in my reloading. It's actually less expensive for me to buy 9mm than reload it. Robocop, you reminded me to not cut corners in the interest of saving a few dollars. even if it would work to switch those primers, there's no reason to. Primers are readily available these days, not like it was 3-4years ago. Enjoy the shooting sports