"Slugging the Bore" question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > "Slugging the Bore" question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default "Slugging the Bore" question

I'm still playing with my 7.65 Argentine Mauser (also called Belgian Mauser) and researching how to reload ammo for it. Because of it's age, I want to slug the bore instead of "guess" on bullet diameter. My basic question is how to best slug the bore:

Method #1: Someone I know has suggested the following method, using low-melting point lead. The first step is to block the bore using something tight fitting such as a disposable ear plug. This ear plug is inserted into the muzzle and then pushed down the barrel about 5 inches. Next, molten lead is then poured down the barrel and forms a "slug" on top of the inserted ear plug. Then this slug is then pushed thru the barrel using wooden dowels until it comes out the other end (chamber). - Will this method work? (I have never heard of this method before.)

I have further been advised to get BOTH measurements from the slug, the lands AND the grooves, and that the final bullet diameter should fall BETWEEN those two measurements. Any advice? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

I forgot to mention that my concern is that the slug formed by the molten lead will contract (smaller diameter) as it cools to room temperature..

Old 05-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Take it to a gunsmith and have them do it it's safer

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6667 Times on 3547 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Dont pour molten lead in a bore it will make a mess like you have never see before... And thats IF it does not explode in your face when it hits a spot of oil...

To properly slug a bore soft lead like a fishing weight is greased and the bore is greased and the lead weight is forced from the chamber end out the muzzle .
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 05-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #5

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Dont pour molten lead in a bore it will make a mess like you have never see before... And thats IF it does not explode in your face when it hits a spot of oil...

To properly slug a bore soft lead like a fishing weight is greased and the bore is greased and the lead weight is forced from the chamber end out the muzzle .
It should be an egg shape close to the bore diameter!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Couple of other things about molten lead. It melts a scootch over 620F to keep it molten enough to pour it needs to be around 750-800F. If you pour molten lead into a clean metal container it will stick like glue. For lead to come free from steel or aluminum it needs a coating of carbon like you get from burning a match under steel or aluminum leaving soot behind.

Next problem is your spot on about shrinkage. It will shrink as it cools giving incorrect readings.

Next problem is whatever you plug the bore with will melt or burn under the 700+degree heat. Instantly.

Next problem is that it only takes about 400-600F of heat to start damaging hardened steel through annealing. Pouring 700F+ degree molten lead IF you can pour it without it silver dragoning yourself, IF you can keep it n the barrel, IF you can get it out again, IF you can pour it without damaging the barrel steel, IF you can get it to mold without shrinking you have worked a miracle.

It only takes a tiny drop of water or oil or any liquid for the dragon to appear. In the video below he is tossing water from a long way off into only a tiny bit of lead. If you get that stuff on you it will eat you to the bone. Not something to mess with lightly.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
It should be an egg shape close to the bore diameter!
Yes definately. I didn't have a lot of time when I wrote the first reply.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

I have to agree with the above posts....especially the comments about molten lead running down the bore. Glad I asked the question. Thanks

Old 05-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

From my quick google search it seems a lot of argentine reloaders use .312 150 grain hornady sp 3120 as the bullet

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Whoever advised to split the difference between the land diameter & the groove diameter to get your optimal bullet diameter is off the mark, IMHO, cause if you go with that dimension, the bullet won't be completely filling the grooves, which I'd think, is what you want for best accuracy. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. jd45