Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Single Stage or Progressive Press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

I load 5.56 and 7.62 in batches of 1,000

I don't know if all of my stages are necessary, but they work for me and give me the "warm fuzzies."

First, I wash or tumble the cases. I install the resizing die ONLY in the Dillon. I spray lube with Dillon lube then resize/deprime,

I tumble in corncob to remove the lube, and run each case through the case gauge. Those that need trimming are trimmed.

Brass is now prepared. I install the tool head with all of the dies. In the resizing stage, I install an RCBS "universal" decapping die to knock out any corncob that got stuck in the flash hole during tumbling, and load normal,. high speed.

I weigh a powder charge every 100 rounds to verify the powder measure setting.

I have ten primer pick up tubes, in each size, so I only need to load primers in tubes every 1,000 rounds.

Sounds complex, but once you get into the swing of it, it's easy to load 1000 7.62X51, .30-06 or 5.56X45 in two evenings without pushing yourself.

Be careful, though. You may find yourself taking out a second mortgage to buy conponents!

Last edited by locutus; 05-01-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #12

Default Appreciate the sage advice

Hey guys. All this experienced advice is invaluable. I already have the Rock
Chucker so I'm good with the single stage. Now if I can get the 650 in a few months I should be set. Any more comments are welcomed. Thanks to all.

Bill

Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #13

Default Some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I load 5.56 and 7.62 in batches of 1,000

I don't know if all of my stages are necessary, but they work for me and give me the "warm fuzzies."

First, I wash or tumble the cases. I install the resizing die ONLY in the Dillon. I spray lube with Dillon lube then resize/deprime,

I tumble in corncob to remove the lube, and run each case through the case gauge. Those that need trimming are trimmed.

Brass is now prepared. I install the tool head with all of the dies. In the resizing stage, I install an RCBS "universal" decapping die to knock out any corncob that got stuck in the flash hole during tumbling, and load normal,. high speed.

I weigh a powder charge every 100 rounds to verify the powder measure setting.

I have ten primer pick up tubes, in each size, so I only need to load primers in tubes every 1,000 rounds.

Sounds complex, but once you get into the swing of it, it's easy to load 1000 7.62X51, .30-06 or 5.56X45 in two evenings without pushing yourself.

Be careful, though. You may find yourself taking out a second mortgage to buy conponents!
In your decapping process have you ever had a primer not load properly? Some have said that dirty primer pockets can cause this and that is why they decap first, clean next in a tumbler and then in an ultrasonic cleaner to get all the crud out of the primer pockets. Also have you ever had experience with stainless steel media in your tumbler? The claim is the stainless never needs replacing like corncob. The double tumbling you do should really clean range pickup cases.

Do primers come in more than 2 sizes? Anyway I like your idea of keeping plenty of primer tubes ready before loading.

Bill

Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgu View Post
In your decapping process have you ever had a primer not load properly? Some have said that dirty primer pockets can cause this and that is why they decap first, clean next in a tumbler and then in an ultrasonic cleaner to get all the crud out of the primer pockets. Also have you ever had experience with stainless steel media in your tumbler? The claim is the stainless never needs replacing like corncob. The double tumbling you do should really clean range pickup cases.

Do primers come in more than 2 sizes? Anyway I like your idea of keeping plenty of primer tubes ready before loading.
Primers are only large and small. Rifle and pistol primer are different but the same size/

Where to start!

first, always remember that Dillon has the best customer service in the industry. It some "thingy" won't fit in the whatchacallit,, call them and they'll walk you through it.

Never had a problem with depriming. I never worry about cleaning primer pockets. and never had a problem.

I usually use a Thumler's rotary tumbler and warm water with Liquid tide for initial cleaning. Clean corncobs in a vibratory for lube removal.

Never tried the stainless steel media. since I clean my brass for functionality, not looks, I never got around to trying that stuff.

From everything I've read, it's perfect if you want super shiny, new looking cases. I just want them clean enough that they won't scratch my dies or chambers.
nitestalker Likes This