Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Single Stage or Progressive Press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Single Stage or Progressive Press?

Beginner reloader of .380, 9mm, 45, and .223. I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker new wholesale from a dealer friend who needed to unload it as he is getting out of the business and I wanted something to get started. I was also able to get some of the other stuff I needed including a 45 die, powder, powder gauge, and tumbler from him.

I wanted a RCBS 2000 but he said there would be a long wait. He said he could maybe get me a slightly used Dillon 650 in a few months.

My friend tried to discourage me from buying a progressive press as he said that there were too many things to go wrong with them. I'm not interested at this point in the ultimate load for the best match round which I think the single stage is good for. I'm just trying to insure volume production for my handguns as I probably shoot at least 10,000 rounds a year.

Did I do the right thing given the current availability situation?

Bill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #2

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Some progressives are easier to change the set up on than others. Some people actually own a press for each caliber that they load. I have a progressive that I load 45 acp on. I use a Rock Chucker for everything else. I probably do about 15 different calibers on that Rock Chucker. Every reloader should own a single stage press. There are simply times that you will need one.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #3

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Shooting 10,000 rounds year? You need a good progressive press. The Dillion Progressives are great machines. They are easy to run and have incredible guaranties. Dillion backs up their machines and they are always a phone call away.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1632 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 3375

I think it is good to start with a single stage.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

If you are basically a careful person and at least a little bit mechanically inclined, it's hard to beat the Dillon 550B.

A single stage is easier to learn on, but you will outgrow it quickly.

If you can afford it, get a decent single stage as a learning tool, and then move up to the Dillon.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

The 650 is a fantastic press. If you get a good price go for it. The only issues i have is if i make a mistake setting it up.

I highly recomend getting dillon's video on the 650 if your new to progressives like the 650.

I use both a single stage and 650 depending on volume depends which press i use. Even for low volume shoots i use the 650 to proccess my rifle brass then use the single stage for charging and bullet seating.

There isnt much that can go wrong with a 650, other than letting primers or powder run out, since everything is automated except for placing the bullet on the case and there are addons for that...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

locutus Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The 650 is a fantastic press. If you get a good price go for it. The only issues i have is if i make a mistake setting it up.

I highly recomend getting dillon's video on the 650 if your new to progressives like the 650.

I use both a single stage and 650 depending on volume depends which press i use. Even for low volume shoots i use the 650 to proccess my rifle brass then use the single stage for charging and bullet seating.

There isnt much that can go wrong with a 650, other than letting primers or powder run out, since everything is automated except for placing the bullet on the case and there are addons for that...
Thanks for the advice (as well as that from others). I like everything about the Dillon but the primers used in the RCBS 2000 can be bought in strips which may be a little easier to load and use than the stacked primers of the Dillon. Some worry about the primer stack of the Dillon going off if the bottom primer were to fire but nobody seems to know first hand that this has happened.

Help me out with your rifle brass process. Are you saying that you are adding powder and bullet seating with the single stage? This would seem to require that you manually load each case with a powder charge and then seat the bullet in the press. Why would you not do the whole thing on the 650 which can be set up to do everything (even place the bullets if you can afford the added hardware)? The only thing I see that looks a little iffy with the progressive is the shaking brass of rifle cases as each stage is indexed. This might result in powder being shaken out between stages. Pistol cases being shorter seem less prone to do this.

Bill

Old 05-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3587 Times on 2234 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgu

Thanks for the advice (as well as that from others). I like everything about the Dillon but the primers used in the RCBS 2000 can be bought in strips which may be a little easier to load and use than the stacked primers of the Dillon. Some worry about the primer stack of the Dillon going off if the bottom primer were to fire but nobody seems to know first hand that this has happened.

Help me out with your rifle brass process. Are you saying that you are adding powder and bullet seating with the single stage? This would seem to require that you manually load each case with a powder charge and then seat the bullet in the press. Why would you not do the whole thing on the 650 which can be set up to do everything (even place the bullets if you can afford the added hardware)? The only thing I see that looks a little iffy with the progressive is the shaking brass of rifle cases as each stage is indexed. This might result in powder being shaken out between stages. Pistol cases being shorter seem less prone to do this.
I don't use a Dillon myself, but I do use a Hornady progressive press. I love it. I don't have any experience in single stage presses, but given the volume you shoot, definitely go with a progressive.

I wouldn't worry about the press shaking out the powder. Unless you double charge it, which you should always pay attention that you DON'T do, you shouldn't be anywhere near the powder shaking out. I've literally never had it happen on my press.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymgu View Post

When you are loading bottle neck rifle cases you cant do it in one go. You have to size and deprime the cases then trim to length and deburr the case mouths. The 650 means i can run all my sizing priming operations at the same time then trim without handling cases.

Once thats done i can trim and the charge cases with powder then run them through the single stage in the case of 30-06 low volume precision 308 or 223. Or if im cranking out ohsht rounds or practice rounds for the scar17 or bcm carbine i can go back to the 650 and crank em out.

While i shoot a lot of 308 and 223/556 i dont do a lot of batch loading. Most of it is done in 25-50 round lots or less since i load for accuracy a lot. I like to use a rcbs chargemaster electronic powder dispenser for this and having the brass pre-proccessed on the 650 makes it easy for running through the single stage with frequent changes to charge weights and different powders in the same session.

Progressives kind of suck for small batches, frequent powder changes, and or frequent charge weight changes when your building accuracy loads. Thats why people often have both single stage and a progressive. All my pistol ammo is run on the 650 since i pretty much never make changes other than confirming the charge weight when i start.

Some proggressives can have powder jump out but most dont. The dillon tends not to have that happen but it does happen. Mine started out a little clunky but within 500 to 1000 loads the turret smoothed out and its like butter now.

The rcbs strips are very dangerous since if you have a discharge it can daisy chain the strip. Nothing between you and the primers but air. The 650 has a protected primer housing that is between you and the primer tube.

An acquantance of mine managed to get a deprimed berdan case in the mix and set off his primer tube in his 650. All of em blew but he was wearing glasses and the dillon primer shield worked saving him any harm other than a good scare and a short wait to get a replacement tube from dillon. Dillon's priming system is probably the safest one out there.

I do some priming using a rcbs table top primer and it worries me even though its another safe way to prime.

The strips and hand held primers are very dangerous. We have a member here who got shrapnel in his face from hand priming.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

I have used a lot of presses in my 50 years of reloading and I have to say that the RCBS Rockchucker is by far the best I have used. They are not as slow as you think and w/ a good powder measure you can load a lot of ammo pretty fast on the RC.
ct

Last edited by cottontop; 05-02-2013 at 02:19 AM. Reason: addition
axxe55 Likes This