Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Single-stage blues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been using my Lee 4 hole turret for a couple years now and now gate had to go and post this to make me want something better. I've been wanting a better set up for a while now but haven't been able to swing it. I'll have to keep my eyes open...

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I started loadidng metallic cartridges on a single stage (RCBS) in college. When I got my first "real job" one of my first acquisitions was a Dillon RL450. I still use that same Dillon 26 years later. Dillon's "no BS" guarantee is exactly that. I could not be happier with the investment I made. I load everything from .380 up to .30-06 on the Dillon w/o any problems. If I had the green to get the caliber conversions I would be loading .32 ACP and .45-70 on it.

I would recommend a set of max headspace gauges (From MidwayUSA). Every round I load gets checked.

You will find the length of your .45 cases is not what is causing the loaded rounds from chambering, it is the depth of bullet seating or amount of crimp. I never trim straight walled cases and I do shoot IPSC so reliability is very important to me.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would certainly not let the fact that the 550B has manual indexing keep me from buying that machine. I've had one for a couple of years and i normally do from 250 to 300 rounds an hour without even raising a sweat.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the tips all.
Thanks for that graphic Res45, thats the one I was looking for when I posted before, but couldn't find it.

Robo you bring up a good point. I haven't had any chambering issues myself, but did find I need to seat bullets a good bit deeper than recommended OAL.
When I first was setting up my dies I seated to book OAL and found the cartridges wouldn't chamber all the way when checking in my barrel, I kept increasing the crimp without helping until I realized the simple solution, the bullet was contacting the lands....duh. I shortened the OAL and now they are perfect.
Depending on the bullet, I'm seating to 1.220 with 230gr RN and 1.210 with Hornady 230gr XTP HP. Any longer than that will still chamber with a little force, but the bullet is being jammed into the lands.

I'm basing my decision to go with the Hornady on price vs. features.
Basically the Hornady L&L has the features of the Dillon 650 at the price of the 550b. Even less when you factor in the 500 free bullets as Tango pointed out.
I know Dillons customer service is supposed to be great, but I've heard Hornady really stands behind their product as well.
Tomorrow is the day, hopefully. I'm still not sure If I want to spend the extra cash on the case feeder. I'd probably be just fine without it.

Good or bad I'll post a report once I get set up

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down