Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Single-stage blues (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/single-stage-blues-25832/)

Gatekeeper 04-09-2010 04:55 AM

Single-stage blues

Well I've been at it all week, I bought 10lbs of once fired 45ACP brass last week, 500 Precision coated lead 230gr rnfp and another 1000 primers.
Been processing brass all week, cleaning, culling, measuring, trimming where needed, and priming.
Loaded 25 of the new bullets and functioned/accuracy tested the other day.
Just got done loading 500 and I've got another 500 cases sized and ready for prime & powder. Yaaay!
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...0409100005.jpg
Now Im good for the about...... the next ten days. Doh!!!
Did I mention I had to do this on all on a single stage press and weighed all the charges(don't own a measure):eek:
Ive gone through a full pound of Win 231 in the last two weeks.
Man I need a progressive press if I going to keep shooting Ipsc/USPSA.
I even got rid of a couple of guns this week to fund the purchase of a new progressive. I'm back to work tomorrow after being off for a couple of weeks, and even though I got the cash, I don't want to short myself in case of emergency.
So hopefully, Wednesday's the day I can pick up a progressive. Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Hornady L&L Auto-progressive
Sorry, little bit of a rant there:o
------------------
Oh...If you ever wondered what a 45auto looks like in an Ammomaster single stage press that will load 50BMG, now you know.....it's re-donkulous!
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...0409100023.jpg

willfully armed 04-09-2010 05:32 AM

The throw on that thing has to be redonculous!

I have loaded over 5k on my Rockchucker. Been whining about it for a few years, but havent seemed to buy a progressive? I did buy a Lee Turret, thats still sitting on the shelf.

TXnorton 04-09-2010 11:32 AM

Gate:

Dillion has a nice progressive loading machine just waiting for you to call and order it! After case prep, simply sorting and tumbling now (no trimming), I can get better than 400 rounds per hour of .45 ACP using my RL-550. I am sure some others can get more production than that.

M14sRock 04-10-2010 05:25 AM

If all you are loading is .45ACP, check out the Dillon Square Deal. It was my first progressive and was outstanding. Very affordable, too.

Build up a rhythm and you could load those 500 in an hour or two.

Dillon Square Deal 'B': Dillon Reloading Machines

Gatekeeper 04-11-2010 02:30 AM

Thanks for the tips guys.
I'm pretty certain I'm gonna go with the Hornady L&L progressive. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them.
Thought about the 550b, but its manual index and 4 station.
The 650 is nice, 5station and auto index but so is the Hornady and its less coin.
I also like the fact I can just change dies and shell plate to quickly change calibers instead of setting up separate tool heads for the 650
I did check out the Square deal as well, and it looks like it would be the hot ticket if I just did 45Auto, but I also load 5.56 and will probably start 9mm or 40 in the near future, so I want a machine that can do rifle and pistol.

About 90% sure this is what I'm gonna go with. Still doin a little research
On sale now at Cabelas for $650 with case feeder Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive Press with Automatic Feeder : Cabela's

Gatekeeper 04-11-2010 03:14 AM

Tx,
I know trimming of straight walled cases isn't usually needed, but I've been seeing a lot of guys fighting ammo related malfunctions at the matches. I'm not trimming all of them, just run them all through my calipers and trim the few that are out of spec or close to it. I've also been dropping every loaded round in my chamber and checking for fit/headspace before they go in my ammo boxes.
I know that is probably overkill also, but having no malfunction's helps my time/score. I need all the help I can get:p

Ruzai 04-11-2010 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 267934)
Tx,
I know trimming of straight walled cases isn't usually needed, but I've been seeing a lot of guys fighting ammo related malfunctions at the matches. I'm not trimming all of them, just run them all through my calipers and trim the few that are out of spec or close to it. I've also been dropping every loaded round in my chamber and checking for fit/headspace before they go in my ammo boxes.
I know that is probably overkill also, but having no malfunction's helps my time/score. I need all the help I can get:p

Hey, I never thought of the dropping them in the mags and into the chamber to see about malfunctions...I have to make sure and remember that when I put out my first batch of rounds with my new press.
I bought a Lee 4-hole Turret press with Auto-index. I figured I'd spend a little to have both a single stage and a semi-progressive press. The whole Deluxe 4-hole Turret Kit was a pretty good deal if you ask me, especially for a beginning reloader like myself.

Gatekeeper 04-11-2010 03:56 AM

Just to clarify Ruzai, I'm not actually cycling them through my 1911.
I remove the barrel and drop the rounds into the chamber to make they chamber easily.
On a 1911 the cartridge should drop in and the case head should be flush with the barrel hood, any longer and It may not allow the slide to go all the way into battery, much shorter and the case begins to headspace of the extractor. At least thats the way I understand it

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...0410102341.jpg

Ruzai 04-11-2010 04:06 AM

Well that works just fine as well, I'll have to remember the thing about the barrel hood and the head of the casing lining up.
I was thinking more along the lines of checking the actual feeding of the round into the chamber from the magazine. I hear people complain about flat-nosed bullets not loading into Glocks very easily. I like to know as much about feeding problems before I head out to the range so I can fix them.

cpttango30 04-11-2010 08:13 AM

Gate That Hornady will serve you well.

I have the 550 because sometimes the auto indexing can cause powder to splash out of the case. I can get 400+ rounds an hour if I try. When you get that Big Red set up I want to see a report on it.

Plus you get free bullets when you buy that press. Can't beat free bullets.