Silver Tip? Black Tip? Green Tip? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Silver Tip? Black Tip? Green Tip?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

The SLAP round is not for general sale- a few rounds circulate among collectors. Accuracy was OK (belt fed MG, 650 rounds per minute. WTH do you need accuracy for?)

As said AP and tracer RIFLE ammo is not illegal under Fed law. The Civilian Marksmanship program as selling 30-06 AP as target ammo recently.

Tracer- playing with matches in a gasoline refinery MIGHT be more dangerous. A tracer bullet has a tail of VERY hot flame about 2 ft long. Set the woods on fire, after Smokey D. Bear whups hell out of you with that shovel, US Forestry Dept will send you the largest bill you have ever IMAGINED for cost of putting out fire.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #22

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

Since when? AP and incindiary are perfectly legal in rifles and in most states. AP HANDGUN ammo is illegal under federal law.
Did not know that. So I repeat my question ware is the best place to get it?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9166 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Viking- it is illegal to manufacture or import AP handgun ammo, but not to possess it. (Well, not totally illegal, just restricted as hell) there are Fed standards on the construction of the bullet- never mind color of tip. Also, civilian ammo, such as Winchester Black Talons, do not follow a MILITARY color code.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Viking- it is illegal to manufacture or import AP handgun ammo, but not to possess it. (Well, not totally illegal, just restricted as hell) there are Fed standards on the construction of the bullet- never mind color of tip. Also, civilian ammo, such as Winchester Black Talons, do not follow a MILITARY color code.
So if you find a box of Black Talons in your ammo cache you don't have to make it disappear?

I have seen incendiary and tracer rifle ammo for sale in catalogs before. As far as the pistol/rifle thing how do they make that determination? There are only a handful of the common cartridges that are truly "handgun only" (as I know you are aware). So, for instance, .22 rimfire tracers would be legal if you are firing it from a rifle, not if you are firing it from a handgun. Is that correct?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #25

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

So if you find a box of Black Talons in your ammo cache you don't have to make it disappear?

I have seen incendiary and tracer rifle ammo for sale in catalogs before. As far as the pistol/rifle thing how do they make that determination? There are only a handful of the common cartridges that are truly "handgun only" (as I know you are aware). So, for instance, .22 rimfire tracers would be legal if you are firing it from a rifle, not if you are firing it from a handgun. Is that correct?
I think that if there's a bug enough market for handguns in any particular caliber,then it's subject to the ban. I know there was a big fuss about century and others getting the okay to import dracos and other ak pistols because that ended the availability of AP ammo in 7.62x39 a while back.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #26
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

OK, another question, If you reload using milsurp AP projectiles is that illegal because you are "manufacturing" ammunition?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #27

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
(belt fed MG, 650 rounds per minute. WTH do you need accuracy for?)
For putting 650 rounds through the same hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
OK, another question, If you reload using milsurp AP projectiles is that illegal because you are "manufacturing" ammunition?
I hope not.

What is military silver tip .308?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #28

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

For putting 650 rounds through the same hole.
Easy, just shoot at a really big hole.