Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Silver Bullets - looking for info (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/silver-bullets-looking-info-69937/)

Marthor 08-09-2012 01:54 AM

Silver Bullets - looking for info
 
I recently bought a bunch of silver coins which is a common recommendation in survival and emergency preps. So, now I'm in this "silver bug" mode and I just had the idea of getting silver bullets. I want some!

Since silver bullets are common folklore, I'm sure somebody probably makes some. I'm interested in 22lr, 223 and 45 acp silver bullets. Where can I get some and how much?

Also, does anybody know if silver is harder than brass? I don't want to damage my barrel.

marc29th 08-09-2012 02:04 AM

I had made up a couple silver musket balls once but never fired them. Never heard of any company making any.

TimKS 08-09-2012 02:04 AM

Today's silver price is $28 per oz.... One 230 gr. 45 ACP bullet is just over a half oz. That means it will cost you about $14 per shot from your 45. :eek:

You can melt down and pour your own bullets with a bit of reloading equipment. Have fun. :D

Marthor 08-09-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marc29th (Post 897626)
Never heard of any company making any.

If werewolves were as popular as Zombies, there'd be silver bullets everywhere! :D

Marthor 08-09-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimKS (Post 897627)
Today's silver price is $28 per oz.... One 230 gr. 45 ACP bullet is just over a half oz. That means it will cost you about $14 per shot from your 45. :eek:

You can melt down and pour your own bullets with a bit of reloading equipment. Have fun. :D

I don't have any reload equipment (yet). I'm looking for ready cartridges.

Yes, each shot would be pricey, so I may not actually shoot. I just want a magazine full.

marc29th 08-09-2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor

If werewolves were as popular as Zombies, there'd be silver bullets everywhere! :D

LOL all to true, I made the musket balls the same way I made lead ones, I believe the melt temp on the silver was quite a bit higher than lead so it took longer for the scrap silver I used to melt in my crucible.

SWBMOAMP2691 08-09-2012 02:20 AM

My grandfather got a box of .300 win. Mag. With silver tipped bullets. He's had them for a LONG time. Just to guess at how old they are I think the price tag was 19.99. I'll double check when I get home and post a picture. I thought it was funny that we had them because neuter of us has ever owned a rifle chambered for that round.

Dillinger 08-09-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor (Post 897636)

Yes, each shot would be pricey, so I may not actually shoot. I just want a magazine full.

LOL - Are you filming a John Woo movie anytime soon? :D

I would think that silver would be a nightmare for cleaning the lands and grooves post shooting and while I don't think it would wear on the steel, it would definitely leave it's mark.

The melting point is about 1760 degrees. By comparison the melting point of lead is about 621 degrees so it's just shy of triple. Melting your own is going to take some serious heat. You have any Magnesium you can throw in the fire? :D

I would think the sensible thing to do would take some ammo, get some blue painter's tape and a $3 can of modeling paint in chrome silver. ;)

JD

Tackleberry1 08-09-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor (Post 897614)
I recently bought a bunch of silver coins which is a common recommendation in survival and emergency preps. So, now I'm in this "silver bug" mode and I just had the idea of getting silver bullets. I want some!

Since silver bullets are common folklore, I'm sure somebody probably makes some. I'm interested in 22lr, 223 and 45 acp silver bullets. Where can I get some and how much?

Also, does anybody know if silver is harder than brass? I don't want to damage my barrel.

Be honest Marthor...you just watched that cheesy new series "Teen Wolf"'and got scared, right.

Would be MUCH cheaper to melt down 1 of your coins and fill the cavities of your SD hollow points...:)

They will perform like FMJ's AND take down the BIG BAD WOLF! :D

Sorry brother but I had to poke fun at that one!

Tack

shooter88 08-09-2012 02:32 AM

Idk man but i do know i bought a box of 30 30 shells that r silver tiped...half of the bullet is actually solid silver and ive also seen the same in 40 cal but they were almost $50 a box


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.