Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Silver Bear Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I would shoot Brown Bear in my AK. I would start cleaning, and I had more rainbow colors than a Pride Parade on my Q-Tips.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1811 Times on 1040 Posts
Likes Given: 3717

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The brown bear is laquer/polymer coated steel cases. The silver bear is Zinc plated. The golden bear is brass cased. The silver bear should not leave any residue behind other than carbon from the dirty powder.

IMHO, if you just shoot the inexpensive domestic ammo like Winchester white box or Federal red box, you pay a little more bit have reloadable cases left over that you may find a use for in the future.
Robocop,

Co-worker has some issues with his flat top firing Bear .223, he would run a 30 rounds and then the jamming / misfiring starts - might be from the laquer/polymer coating (not sure). He has had enough, I advised him to use the remaining rounds 30 only per visit to the range and fire winchester, pmc, etc.

I wish I could provide other details - on the malfunctions with the bear! I have had numerous attempts to get hime to the range; however, honey do list comes into play!

Wednesday, is a coming and it is range time; however, the winds will calm down! If the winds are going, time for drive to the Gun Show this weekend 1-2 May at the Expo Hall in Albuquerque!

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 04-27-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

If you look at the design of the Russian ammo (7.62 X 39 and 7.62 X 54R) they both have pronounced body tapers. The .223 is a nearly straight bodied case (from base to shoulder). I believe the taper of the Russian case works fine with the laquer/polymer, but the US designed .223 was never designed for and does not reliably work with the coated ammo.

Remember, the case serves two functions..1 as the recepticle that contains the primer/powder/bullet and 2 the gasket that seals off the chamber. A steel case will seal off properly when tapered like the Russian ammo. Steel will not expand properly to seal the chamber in a straight walled case like the .223. Mikhail Kalashnikov and Sergei Simonov understood this and designed their rifles to take advantage of the ammunition's design.

IF you choose to shoot laquer/polymer coated ammo in .223, be prepared to clean the chambers VERY well. You should almost expect malfunctions if you let the barrel heat up.

Personally, shooting cheap ammo through an expensive rifle is like using re-refined motor oil in an expensive sports car.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wow!

Thanks for all the help.. I order some of the Silver Bear and will let you guys know how it went.. So basically, brown Bear bad, Silver ok..

Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

its ok but older rifles that have smaller twist in the barrel but i shot it out of my mini 14 and it wasn't as accurate ass 55 grn but should work good in any ar

Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #16

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

A bump...wondering if others (I think the_Rican disappeared) have had good or bad experience with Silver Bear.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-12-2011, 04:37 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the first package of ammo I shot out of my mosin was silver bear match grade, shot pretty well. I just picked up some wolf and am planning on testing it out tomarrow.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."