Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Silver Bear Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/silver-bear-ammo-26510/)

The_Rican 04-26-2010 09:54 PM

Silver Bear Ammo

I am looking for some feedback on Silver Bear® .223 (5.56x45 mm) Remington® 62 - grain Ammo. I am mainly using it for target practice.

Thanks in advance.

Missileman 04-26-2010 11:12 PM

Silver Bear is OK for practice/plinking--made in Russia, it is steel cased, non-reloadable. May leave excess residue, so clean your weapon well after use, including the chamber to remove any varnish residue.

The_Rican 04-26-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missileman (Post 276426)
Silver Bear is OK for practice/plinking--made in Russia, it is steel cased, non-reloadable. May leave excess residue, so clean your weapon well after use, including the chamber to remove any varnish residue.

Thats what I have been reading. Do you happen to know why is it that Zinc plated is better than just steel cased? I was between the Brown Bear and the Silver Bear.

Missileman 04-27-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rican (Post 276443)
Thats what I have been reading. Do you happen to know why is it that Zinc plated is better than just steel cased? I was between the Brown Bear and the Silver Bear.

I believe they do that to reduce rusting/corrosion, (since these are military rounds that get abused in storage over a Russian winter). You can probably store these longer than the plan steel versions without corrosion concerns...

robocop10mm 04-27-2010 03:15 PM

The brown bear is laquer/polymer coated steel cases. The silver bear is Zinc plated. The golden bear is brass cased. The silver bear should not leave any residue behind other than carbon from the dirty powder.

IMHO, if you just shoot the inexpensive domestic ammo like Winchester white box or Federal red box, you pay a little more bit have reloadable cases left over that you may find a use for in the future.

Last Crow 04-27-2010 04:33 PM

I used some Wolf and Silver Bear at a CMP shoot. I don’t know if it was the Wolf or Silver Bear, but I had 4 jams shooting 64 rounds. They were 55 grain.

jpattersonnh 04-27-2010 04:49 PM

The laquer coated stuff is scarey. I shot some out of my 5.56 DCM one weekend. Gave the chrome lined bore a quick cleaning and put the rifle away. A week later I pulled it out to really give it a good scrubbing. The bore was covered w/ what looked like mold. It was the remnants of the polymer that had reacted w/ the FP10 cleaner I used. Freaked me right out. I scrubbed the snot out of that rifle. Never again will I use any of the 1000 rounds of Russian I have in my better rifles. Now I need a Sar3 AK to burn it up! Edit: BTW the ammo is Barnuel.

m72law 04-27-2010 05:24 PM

i've heard silver bear ammo was pretty good...i myself have never tried any...now i have tried golden bear in 3006 and i must say its loaded very hot...so hot 4 out of 20rds case blow out ocurred..if thats what ya call it?...after shooting each round i inspected the cases very closely and noticed the 4 rds were split on the sides @ neck and half way down the body...maybe this is why i cant find anymore of the stuff in 3006 size:eek:i still have about 200rds of the stuff and im not scared to shoot it in any 3 of my rifles...but it does beat my shoulder when fired in my bolt gun:o

Benning Boy 04-27-2010 05:47 PM

Robo, is, once again, on it.

The lacquer coated stuff is indestructible, but when that lacquer heats up, it leaves deposits that harden and require scraping to get rid of. Fine in loose fitting com-block weapons, but with a tight AR, the goop turns to something like hard tack in your gun, and you'll need dental tools and solvent like crazy.

Silver bear has, I believe, a sealing compound around the primers only, and I read somewhere that the zince is supposed to ensure a smooth feed.

I have some in pistol calibers, and frankly it runs better than some Wally world brass.

Txhillbilly 04-27-2010 06:09 PM

I shoot Wolf,and Brown Bear out of my AR's all the time.If you clean you weapons good,you will probably never have any problems with the protective coatings that come on this type of ammo.
I have never experienced any problems,and have fired many cases of this stuff through my guns.

The Brown Bear ammo shoots alot more accurate than the Wolf ammo out of all of my 223's