Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Sierra 69 grain matchking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Sierra 69 grain matchking

Read some good reviews on these anyone have any first hand experience with them, and what is the moly coating all about?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1155 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 556

I shoot a lot of the 69 gr SMK's,they are a great shooting bullet. The only moly coated bullets I've ever shot are 75 gr Hornady BTHP Match and A-Max's,and IMO,the moly coating doesn't really do much of anything better than the standard copper jacket bullets.
The moly coating is also a real pain to clean out of some barrels.
In all of my chronograph testing,the moly coated bullets were actually slower than a non-moly coated bullet shooting the same powder charge out of every rifle I've shot them out of.

Unless the moly coated bullets are all you can find,I'd just stick with non-coated bullets.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I shoot a lot of the 69 gr SMK's,they are a great shooting bullet. The only moly coated bullets I've ever shot are 75 gr Hornady BTHP Match and A-Max's,and IMO,the moly coating doesn't really do much of anything better than the standard copper jacket bullets.
The moly coating is also a real pain to clean out of some barrels.
In all of my chronograph testing,the moly coated bullets were actually slower than a non-moly coated bullet shooting the same powder charge out of every rifle I've shot them out of.

Unless the moly coated bullets are all you can find,I'd just stick with non-coated bullets.

Yea sounds like I will stick with the non moly, thanks for the heads up, I have heard many good things on the SMK's guess I have an excuse to go load some up now

Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #4

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I handload 69gr SMK for my AR and Mini-14. Very accurate bullets. Sierra makes a quality bullet. I use them almost exclusively in my reloading. Best bang for the buck IMO.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I've never seen moly-coated SMK's but if I ever do, I'll probably pass on them. A little research will let you know if they're gonna be your cup of tea. As for the 69 grain Sierra MatchKing, well if I could only load one .223 round for the rest of my life, that's what it would be. Accurate and reliable, that lil 69 grain pill shoots well in my 1:7's and my 1:9's. It's a great target bullet that works well on varmints, what more can you ask for?