SIERRA 165gr SPITZER GAME KINGS 300yds - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

SIERRA 165gr SPITZER GAME KINGS 300yds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Great bullet with excellent accuracy and good terminal performance. I load both the 165SBT and 168SMK (long range target) with IMR-4895 for my Milspec 5R .308 and have the same point of impact. I am perfectly satisfied with them and load experimentation has come to an end. I guess the only reason I would use another hunting bullet would be much bigger game than deer.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #12

Liked 544 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouva1 View Post
Did you say feral donkeys....WOW...yeah the sierra bullets have a great ballistic coefficient and my rifle doesn't seem to foul at all with copper fouling....must have been the proper break in procedure...who knows
We do have a big oversupply of feral animals in Australia that have been introduced over the last 200 hundred + years so anything from a .22 up to a.458 is used on the different critters.

I've used my 30/06AI and 165gn GameKings for years on pigs,goats,deer and 2 years ago on a cull hunt in our Northern Territory my son also used a .270 CMC Mountaineer with 130gn GameKings to get his 1st 2 pigs whilst I shot my 1st feral donkey's and feral horses plus wild dogs and all were bang flops with the 165gn GameKing.

I generally clean the barrels out with Sweet's to get rid of the copper fouling and have recently started using Brakeclean(used by mechanics to wash down brake pads/shoes) to get rid of carbon fouling in the barrel to great effect and it dries out. I generally spray this into the barrel and give it a couple of seconds before running a couple of patches down the bore.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
We do have a big oversupply of feral animals in Australia that have been introduced over the last 200 hundred + years so anything from a .22 up to a.458 is used on the different critters.

I've used my 30/06AI and 165gn GameKings for years on pigs,goats,deer and 2 years ago on a cull hunt in our Northern Territory my son also used a .270 CMC Mountaineer with 130gn GameKings to get his 1st 2 pigs whilst I shot my 1st feral donkey's and feral horses plus wild dogs and all were bang flops with the 165gn GameKing.

I generally clean the barrels out with Sweet's to get rid of the copper fouling and have recently started using Brakeclean(used by mechanics to wash down brake pads/shoes) to get rid of carbon fouling in the barrel to great effect and it dries out. I generally spray this into the barrel and give it a couple of seconds before running a couple of patches down the bore.

I live in Australia and in places like COBAR,Nyngan,Willcania,Bourke and lightning ridge and have never encounted feral donkeys....if you want to get rid of copper fouling as well as carbon in your rifle I have found no other product on the market and I've used them all other than BORETECH ELIMINIATOR...this product is the best I've ever used and is AMMONIA free,try it and you'll no what I mean.....cheers

Old 08-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #14

Liked 544 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouva1 View Post
I live in Australia and in places like COBAR,Nyngan,Willcania,Bourke and lightning ridge and have never encounted feral donkeys....if you want to get rid of copper fouling as well as carbon in your rifle I have found no other product on the market and I've used them all other than BORETECH ELIMINIATOR...this product is the best I've ever used and is AMMONIA free,try it and you'll no what I mean.....cheers
Didn't realise you're an Aussie.I've also shot around Bourke(fished as well), Nyngan and Goodooga as well as well as the NT.
I have used BoreTech Eliminator while restoring my Mk3 No.1 SMLE .303 in the barrel as it looked like it needed a scrub out and the junk that came out of the barrel was very interesting.